Topic

Zpacks sleeping bag sizing, reg or wide? EE vs…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks sleeping bag sizing, reg or wide? EE vs…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I am coming from a wide EE rev, that was simply too wide. I am 6ft 150lb.

EE reg top width 54"

Zpacks reg top width 56"

Am I reading this right that Zpacks is actually wider in regular width?

Is the Zpacks 30" footbox too constricting? I was swimming in the EE 42" footbox.

(Zpacks specs)Girth: Shoulders / Hips / Feet
    Regular Width: 56" / 56" / 30" (142 cm / 142 cm / 76 cm)
    Wide Width: 62" / 62" / 35" (158 cm / 158 cm / 89 cm)

I think a reg width EE would be fit perfect, but do I need the wide size Zpacks bag?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Michael, you might want to establish whether the dimensions are Inside or Outside. It makes a difference because of the thickness of the down baffling.

Each company has the right to define their product dimensions as they wish. You just need to establish how that relates to your needs.

–B.G.–

michael levi

@m-l

Neither site states where it is measured, hopfully someone can chime in on fit. I would like to wear a down hoody sometimes. Im not sure if the Zpacks reg or wide would be best.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Back when I was purchasing a Zpacks sleeping bag (16 months ago), the Zpacks web site was particularly vague about dimensions. The first one that arrived was all wrong, so it was made right by the second one. Still, it is best to question the company until you hear the answers clearly. They changed the terminology on the web site as a result. It wasn't anything dishonest, it was just vague.

A small company like that is run by one person, and if that one person has the idea that dimensions should be described a certain way, then that is how it starts off. That changes only if customers ask a lot of questions or complain.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Im not sure if the Zpacks reg or wide would be best."

Michael, you are taller and skinnier than I am. The regular width Zpacks bag is what I got, and the width is fine for me. The bigger puzzle is the length. For you, I would think that it should be either a long or else extra long. But, you need to talk to Zpacks on this matter. For one thing, they might have changed more details in the last 16 months.

Just to get the ball rolling, ask them for the Inside Length dimension of one of their bags. Then think about their answer.

This is a tiny detail. The cuben fiber stuff sack that they supply is fine. It's just twice as heavy as what you need. I purchased a cuben fiber stuff sack from another company that was slightly smaller, thinner, and much less weight. Granted, a stupid stuff sack doesn't weigh too much. It's just the principle of the matter.

–B.G.–

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I am also 6 foot and 150 lbs. I also started with a wide EE quilt and found it too large, also the down control wasn't very good. I am now using a regular Zpacks quilt and find it the perfect fit. Yes it is wider at the very top, but is starts to taper earlier than the EE quilt and goes down to a narrower foot box. The foot box is certainly no larger than it needs to be, but I have found it to be just right. I went for the extra long quilt and was glad I did. Overall I have found the Zpacks quilt to be the perfect goldilocks fit for for me as a side sleeper – not too big, not too small, but just right.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Edited to remove double post

michael levi

@m-l

Bob I have been browsing old posts of yours too thanks for the help.

Jason thanks for the assurance. With your x long (6'5") as you are laying on your back with your feet comfortably in the foot box, where does the bag come up on your face?

How does the top width compare to your old ee wide? The specs say the zpacks is wider.

If I could get the long in reg width it would only weigh 15 ounces, but I am wondering if I need a wide. Is there room for a puffy?

A wide adds 1.6 ounces but when we are paying for gear this light every ounce counts.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The regular width Zpacks bag – when used as a quilt – is pretty wide. I'm a hair under 6'0 and 165 lbs and I find the width to be right on. I can sleep on my side with the quilt fully wrapped around me, so I would not want to go wider or much narrower.

As mentioned, it tapers a lot to the footbox. The footbox isn't cramped, but there's not room to spread your legs apart really. I've been happy with it. A wider footbox may be a smidge more comfortable, but it would also be more air to heat up down there. Having my feet close together keeps them warmer.

Regarding length, I got the "long" and it's a good length. Mine has a zipper to open the footbox, which supposedly uses up a couple inches Joe said. With the long I can pull it to about my eyes when I'm laying straight. If I'm sorta in the fetal position I can pull it over my head. I wouldn't want to go shorter. Longer still would be fine but unnecessary. So as long as you're okay with a fairly narrow footbox, I'd go with a regular width and long length. My preference is also to ditch the main zipper, since it's not a winter bag anyways and quilts are better IMO for 3-seasons. I added the footbox zipper so I can open it right up like a blanket in warm weather, but this doesn't work as well with the z-packs bag as it does with other quilts because the narrow footbox doesn't give you much blanket to work with at the foot end, so it's really gotta be a hot night.

Rich J
    Spectator

@pnwhiker

Locale: Pacific NW

Here's an idea. I see that Zpacks has a couple of used/returned bags listed in the bargain bin for immediate shipment. You may be able to get one of those and try it out for size. Zpacks is very good about returns and credits. Once you feel good about the size you could use the credit on an order for exactly what you want. Of course, you would need to discuss this idea with them first. By the way, I'm 5'10" and about 140# and went with regular width, long.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

With your x long (6'5") as you are laying on your back with your feet comfortably in the foot box, where does the bag come up on your face?

About an inch above my eyes. I sleep on my side and like to be able to pull the quilt over my head though. Joe used to have a note on his site about length. I think a few people were finding the quilts too short and he was recommending sizing up. Not sure if he still recommends that or if he has made the quilts a bit larger. I would contact him. he responds very quickly to emails.

How does the top width compare to your old ee wide? The specs say the zpacks is wider.

It is very, very slightly wider, starts to taper sooner.

If I could get the long in reg width it would only weigh 15 ounces, but I am wondering if I need a wide. Is there room for a puffy?

Plenty of room for a puffy. Personally I would only get a wide if I wanted to be able to zip the bag up and use it as a sleeping bag. Mine doesn't have a zip and I use it in quilt mode.

If you sleep on your back I would also have a look at the Katabatic quilts.

michael levi

@m-l

If I plan on zipping it up and side sleeping will the regular width be adequate?

If I left it unzipped (quilt mode) there should be plenty of room.

If I go wide I gain 5" in the footbox.

I dont want it to be too big, but worried the regular will be too small zipped up.

I sleep on CCF most the time and zipping it up and sleeping on the down will be more comfortable.

Thoughts?

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I am 5'9 @ 128lbs
    I wish I would have went wider mostly for foot box room. Don't get me wrong, the Zpacks regular is a darn nice bag.
    I use it as a quilt until it gets close to 20* then I zip up. When zipped it is snug on my feet especially when on my back,toes up.

If was to do it again -Wide

michael levi

@m-l

You weighing 128lbs telling me to go wide sounds like me at 150lbs should go wide….

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

If you want to zip it up then I would definitely go wide.

michael levi

@m-l

A picture of someone laying in one of these bags would be very helpfull. I have searched the interwebs but have not found a picture like this.

michael levi

@m-l

Joe sent me an email saying he added this to his website:

"The dimensions are measured with the bag opened up, stretched tight, from one edge to the other. If you already have a bag to compare, measure the same way."

If it helps, I am 5' 9" and 155 lbs. I find the regular girth, long length bag to be comfortable on me at both the chest and feet. It is snug though, without much extra wiggle room.

I placed an order for a wide fyi… very excited, this is one price of gear that is going to get my gear list into SUL baseweight territory.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Cool stuff. It's going to be great. Wide is the right call if you want the viable option of zipping it up.

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks Dan, I think I will use it in quilt mode most of the time like you. I just don't see the point in laying my sweaty body on that 900 fill unless it's very cold. They did update the fabric to Pertex GL. It's supposed to be lighter so I'm glad I got this update.

michael levi

@m-l

I went long wide and it fits perfect, it seems very thermaly efficient when fully zipped up. I can tuck my knees up to my chest and side sleep if I want. I will probably use it in quilt mode most of the time so it will be plenty wide both ways. The fabric is the newer Pertex GL and kind of see through but has a nice grid ripstop pattern to it.

Instead of the rolltop drybag it comes with I payed extra to upgrade to a pillow stuff sack, it fits horizontal in the bottom on my zpacks small zero. I am not a fan of drybags because they dont mold and conform easily (since they are air tight) so went with the stuff sack.zpacks bag

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools