Topic

Pemi Loop in a Day. White mtns, NH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Pemi Loop in a Day. White mtns, NH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Anyone interested in doing this sometime in the near future? not for the uninitiated.. 31mi with 9k elevation i believe. This is on par or slightly harder than the Presi traverse.

I'm thinking counter clockwise up the bonds first then down franconia ridge.

pemi loop

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Nevermind.. did it solo and had perfect weather :)

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Any TR you can post?

Next month I'm doing some Huts. Can you provide some input for me?

I'm trying to get a hut trip in during early September, as wife is due with #2 in early October. My dad will be my driver (not hiking with me), and I plan on doing the trip solo (totally cool with that). I'm trying to do this trip as "fast" as possible, to avoid extra nights away from home and work.

I plan to be hiking the AT from US 302 near Crawford Notch, "south" to I-93 / US 3 in Franconia Notch. Itinerary as follows:
    –Day 1: Leave early from NJ, drop off at AT Trailhead (Webster Cliff) around noon, hike AT south to Zealand Hut, stay overnight. (7.7mi)
    –Day 2: hike Zealand to Galehead Hut. (7mi)
    –Day 3: hike Galehead to Mt. Lafayette, down Bridle Path past Greenleaf Hut (or across Franconia Ridge and down Falling Waters Trail), and downhill to car at I-93, eat greasy food (lunch), drive home (done early afternoon). (~10mi).

Am I crazy or in the least bit over-ambitious? I've been in the Whites before, and have done the Presi Traverse (using the huts: Valley Way-Madison, Madison-Lakes, Lakes-302) in the past. So, this isn't my first time here. I'm a pretty strong hiker, and can typically do 3mph here in NJ/PA, so I think 1.5mph is probably capable here (with rocks and elevation).

One more thing. Think it's possible to net 14 miles in one day? (Zealand > Greenleaf).

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

It went well. 31.5mi 10k elevation in 15 hours. 45mins faster than i did 25mi Presi traverse last year :) (i was with friends so i didnt go as hard, plus i'm stronger now)
    Legs were pretty sore tues and wed.. not bad today after a bike ride to shake things out.
    Weather was perfect, was in short sleeves most of the day except the early AM and on Garfield i put a jacket on for lunch. Only drank 3L of water.. which was probably 1L short of where I should have been but I didn't drink enough in the morning. A bunch of people were out either day hiking or doing overnights to various huts or shelters. I saw one girl doing the loop in a day going the other way so we talked for a while on S. Twin, I should have got her name so I could have another friend to hike with.. doh. Lincoln Woods trail was still open when I left at 5:30am but was technically closed when I returned at night so I tried to stay on the edges and not tramp on the repair work they were doing.
    Southern Franconia ridge.. shows the visibility I had all day.
    franconia

Ok, Map out.. I always get confused with the AT because i've never done the trails as the AT. This map is damn useful http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountains-Waterproof-Trail-Map/dp/1890060232/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Day 1: Ethan Pond trail is really easy.. pretty steady grade going up then flattens out on railroad grade for quite a while. Definitely check out Thoreau Falls. it's pretty cool and not far off the trail. You should be able to cruise that section. When you pass the Zeacliff trail sign look up, I went down that once.. quite steep.

Day 2: Only hard part of this day is up and down South Twin. If you are feeling good and get to Galehead early you can always go to Garfield Campsite which will be some more rough trail but gets it out of the way. There is a 3 sided AT shelter there so you still wouldn't need a tent. **There is no running water between Zealand Hut and Galehead Hut so load up accordingly.

Day 3: I haven't done Falling waters or Liberty spring so i'm not sure which is steeper.. can always decide how you are feeling. ** No water except at garfield campsite and i guess Garfield pond (not sure how skanky that is) so load up. next water is liberty springs campsite or the bottom of Falling waters trail.

If your dad wants something interesting to do while he waits on the last day The Basin is a pretty cool feature, giant glacier pothole/water fall thing that is a very short walk from the parking lot off 93.

It will be getting colder at night.. 50s at least maybe 40s, no bugs though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools