Topic

Dehydrating Soy Sauce?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrating Soy Sauce?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I couldn't find any powdered soy sauce, so I figured I'd just dehydrate my own! Well, two days later, 1 cup on a liquid tray has crusted over and thickened somewhat, but not dehydrated. Is there a trick to this (including just giving up)?

James Cothran
    Spectator

@wcothran

Locale: Southeast

Have you tried cutting it with a bit of flour before dehydrating?

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Um… Wouldn't have considered that in a million years. What does that do?

James Cothran
    Spectator

@wcothran

Locale: Southeast

It should get it to the point where you can make a loose paste, and spread it on one of your trays. Send it through a food/coffee grinder after it dries. You may have to cut it again with flour there. Most soy sauce is derived from wheat (flour).

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Thanks for the advice, James. I'll give it a try.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Have you considered dehydrating miso paste instead? I have been wanting to try it.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Great suggestion re: the miso paste. That would probably do fine and if rehydrated liberally provide much the same seasoning as soy sauce.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was just looking at packitgourmet.com

They have a huge selection

It's hardly worth dehydrating anything myself

I'll have to order some items, mix them together, I'm not into freezerbag cooking but it would work in my pot – bring water to boil, throw stuff in, maybe let it simmer on low for 1 minute until it boils, let it sit for a few minutes, voila!

Like maybe pinto beans, red and green bell peppers, carrot flakes, ground beef?, cheddar cheese, olive oil, some spices like onion, garlic, cayene, salt

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think that packitgourmet.com must be a wholly owned subsidiary of Sarbar Industries.

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I've decided to try dehydrating miso. I mixed some ginger, garlic and soy sauce in it. I'll let you know if it was any good in about 2.5 weeks. I'm leaving for Glacier tomorrow. Hope it's dry by tomorrow.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol…what is funny is one of the owner's names is Sarah as well ;-)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Well, so far I can tell you that miso does dehydrate. Overnight it turns into a soft leathery mass, even the stuff I made mixed with ginger, garlic and soy sauce. It smells good so I'm pretty sure it's going to make my dinners really tasty.

E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

How much soy sauce are you using that the miniscule weight of a few single-serve packs from the local sushi joint is unreasonable? Serious question.

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I really can't imagine needing to use more than a 1/4oz of soy sauce for a meal. The prepackaged soy sauce from the panda express down the street should be more than fine.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

How much soy sauce are you using that the miniscule weight of a few single-serve packs from the local sushi joint is unreasonable? Serious question.

I was preparing food for a family of three, one of whom is a 17yo teen boy who eats a ton. And for a trip of 9 days. Each of our food bags were between 15-16 lbs.

If it were only for 2-3 days and only for myself, it might not have been a very big deal at all. However, it was a longer trip for three, and we had three meals with soy sauce.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

With 3 kids now, I just quit worrying about packet weight. Honestly, it isn't that much!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

In my case, I had a tub of miso in the fridge and no soy sauce packets and was hours from leaving on a trip. Just enough time to dehydrate it. It actually worked well, but takes more miso than I expected to flavor my food well.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Piper, did you use it for soup, or just flavoring? I've had a hankering for miso soup lately and of course started wondering if I could make my own mix for hiking.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools