Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail – Starting August 8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tahoe Rim Trail – Starting August 8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

Going for a reasonably speedy hike. Maybe 5-6 days. Lightweight.

I am debating whether or not to take my net/tarp. I was on the west side of the trail and the skeeters weren't too bad, even in Desolation. This was a week ago. Thoughts? Maybe just poncho tarp and a head net? No proper rain gear?

Probably starting clockwise at Tahoe City. I guess I gotta go to the William Kent Ranger Station or whatever it is to get a permit? Even if I plan on NOT camping in Desolation?

I just have the Tahoe Basin Trails Illustrated Map. Will that be sufficient? How is the navigation down near Heavenly? Looks like a mile or two of roads.

If anyone is out there, keep an eye out for me. Probably bringing my Green ULA relay pack, grimy yellow LS shirt and a floppy green hat.

Per usual, I'll take some video and hopefully get a TR up a few days later.

-Gabe

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I did a bit over half the trail in about 3.5 days about two weeks ago and had a great time.

You should be fine with no real rain gear. I took my Houdini as both a wind shirt and light rainwear and it worked great. If all else fails, you can hide beneath a tree until the rain calms down (I did!).

If you're not gonna camp in desolation I'm pretty sure you can get a day permit at echo lakes resort. Just be aware that the hours are limited so you'd probably want to show up around 11am.

Navigation is easy and you'll be fine with any map! I have the same one you do. I think the trail has been changed recently because it doesn't take you directly through the streets of heavenly – you'll have to go off trail to go resupply at all. This confused me when I passed through because some TRT guide and trip reports say that they road walked past restaurants and a small store in that section.

Enjoy your trip! I had a great time and wish I'd stayed to finish the whole trail! I have a bunch of great pics and will try to post a TR sometime this month.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools