Topic

Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Silver stuff rubbing off my new z-rest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a new z-rest and just in handling it in my house getting ready for a trip I have noticed that the silver stuff rubs off and leaves gray on my hands. I use a quilt and sleep directly on the pad so obviously I won't be sleeping on the silver side. So I guess the silver will rub off all over the tent floor instead. Has anyone else noticed this annoying trait? Is there a fix for it? Maybe can it be washed off or removed somehow? I'm bummed out by this.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

You may want to contact Cascade Designs for warranty support. I don't think anyone else has reported issues with the SOL coatings but durability was one of the questions when the coating was announced.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Piper,
    Apparently you are one of the first to actually go hiking with this pad, versus just debate it virtues.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

That may be. I thought there had been a few posts about the newer pads field performance, but I can't refer you to one. I'm quite happy with my 2008 RidgeRest and can't see the need to upgrade for the improved R value. Apparently those with the old purple/black pads from the '80s or '90's feel the same. I do appreciate that the price stayed the same although I wouldn't be very happy with a bunch of silver dust all over everything either.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

If I rub , I get some silver off my ridgerest solite. Its never bothered me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Its never bothered me."

That's nice. Might bother some others. Should not happen irregardless.

I was going to buy a new Ridgerest. Now I'll look for an older one.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

How much older? mines about 2 yrs. Its always done it.

I had the impression it was probably ….normal.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Pre Sol Ridgerest. Mine from the 90's were good enough. Just not around anymore.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I haven't even hiked with it yet. My hands turned gray like I'd rubbed aluminum powder on them just handling the thing removing excess panels from it. It's more than annoying. I'm not looking forward to using it, but perhaps I will try to take it out on rest breaks and rub it around on the ground as much as possible before I sleep on it. I'll never buy another one with the silver coating that's for sure.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Oh no, another perfectly good thread ruined by physics arguments : )

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"But Ken, without that "radiant barrier" you'll lose at least 1/2 R"

Temporary issue if it rubs off.

i know, right, Jerry. What's next politics :P

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Piper –
    I would take Matthew's advise and contact Cascade Designs, especially if you are able to provide them with pictures of how extensive the coating rubs off.
    A little initial dust I could understand and accept, but enough to make your hands look like you rubbed aluminum powder on them wouldn't be acceptable to me either.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools