Topic

Sharing space?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sharing space?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Josh Thomas
    BPL Member

@jtpeso

Locale: Louisville, Ky

Well, at least I know I'm not alone regarding the shelter! I figured that would be the case.

It is funny, however, that we often feel the same way about other gear (stoves, water filtration, etc). Like has been previously mentioned, there's a bit of "I-wanna-use-the-gear-I-purchased" involved there. Which, in my opinion, is okay, too. I really had to laugh at myself when the guy asked if we'd be using the same water filter and I felt an emotional tug. (For the record, I imagine we're gonna share that one!) So glad there are people who I can share my neuroses with!

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I love sharing stuff and odds are if I'm backpacking with another we're close enough that most everything would be comfy. That being said, most of my gear is pretty light and in my experience, most people kinda just tear the hell out of stuff. I doubt I've ever leant somebody a piece of gear that didn't come back with noticeable wear. Particularly clothing. In my eyes, that's just part of it and if that means there's a new little snag in my rain jacket then so be it.
    When sharing, I find it pretty difficult to sort of do/handle everything myself without coming across as condescending, especially with the lady.
    But yeah, at the end of the day being in the woods with other people is the best thing ever so who gives a crap about some nylon. Atleast that's the mindset I try to keep.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I love a good adventure, and the most epic have been done with a partner using a single set of non essential gear.
    1 tent, 1 stove, 1 pan, 1 water treatment, 1 warm pants, 1 warm jacket, 1 food bucket, 1 goal.

Some people have a fear of commitment, and "self sufficient" provides a bailout.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

On my last trip it was nice to share gear with my daughter. One stove, one steripen, one bigger pot, one lighter, one larger tarp, one down jacket etc.
    I am all for sharing gear, it's just the shelter or hammock, in my case, that I like to have on my own.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I always prefer having my own space but if on trips with very good buddies I dont mind sharing once they bring ear plugs.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

there is a difference between family car camping, in the 8 person tent, it's communal sharing. A giant ice chest, a hardy steel Coleman double burner stove, king size air mattress that is 2 ft high off the ground.

but lightweight BP gear is fragile, and expensive. everything feels like a thin paperclip, the iso pro stoves and the Ti tent stakes.

thats BPL heresy !!!

if UL gear is that fragile that it cant stand a bit of sharing … well …

i lend my gear all the time to friends … one of my good friends just took my neo air, carbon poles, sil gear up the hills of peru … i told her if it goes kaput, dont throw it away, bring it back as i can always take it back to MEC

gear shouldnt be that fragile

;)

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I remember in college going to a Vegas conference, 25 of us stayed in one luxury hotel room. Worked out well, because we rarely slept in Vegas, so at any given point, 6 people were sleeping on rotation on the couch, bed, floor. But these were the wild days, now I value quality of experience over quantity of dollars saved.

i bet if it involved college members of the opposite sex … youd still find that youthful fire

;)

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

interesting to see the split between those with a background in climbing/mountaineering and backpackers. for many who have posted it appears to break-down as a team (climbing/mountaineering) versus individual (backpacking) sport distinction. yes, i am generalizing, but from many of the posts in this thread it's not a bad generalization. coming from a mountaineering background, i don't think twice about sharing a tent or pretty-much everything else i've brought along. kind of hard to not trust someone with your stove when you've been trusting them with the other end of the rope you're tied-in to. for many here who backpack, there's the sense of self-reliance and the concept of group gear appears to be alien, whereas many mountaineering/climbing trips could not be accomplished by yourself or without group gear.

much of how i climb translates into how i backpack. the thought of not sharing any of my gear just isn't part of the my experince.

while this is the state of the art for fast-and-(ultra)light mountaineers, i'm guessing it's of little interest to most backpackers here unless you were sharing it with your significant other.

spoonbill

i give credit to the folks at ff for having a sense of humor and naming this the *spoonbill.*

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Sharing gear, in general, was discussed in a heated and somewhat hostile thread a couple of years ago.
    This thread is about sharing shelter.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

oh my gosh – a thread is drifting – where are the mod's when you need them….

Tanner M

@tan68

Some of the categorizations made of people that like to have personal space have been illuminating.

I don't think it is weird to not shelter with other folks. I wish it hadn't even crossed your mind to ask. However, I understand the question.

Being accustomed to doing things (well or not) myself aside, there are things I like to do before I sleep. I like to read. Reading may be performed concurrent with eating a bit more. I like to use more space than a 20" wide strip. I have prayed for the trolls to stop shaking the trees and move on. Depending where I am, I like to use a pee bottle. I don't pick my toes, believe myself to be reasonably quiet, and also wear wool. I just want to be free to move as I wish without disturbing others.

If I am not able to read and sleep like a flying squirrel, I don't do things the way I prefer. Making a decision to shelter alone isn't weird, though. It is a choice and there are usually understandable, if not personally acceptable, reasons.

Yeah, I have shared before. It worked out fine. It is not my preference.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"oh my gosh – a thread is drifting – where are the mod's when you need them…."

Not at all. But maybe if you read that one you get an idea of what direction this one is heading.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

It is not a big deal to me to share a tent. It is obviously more fun when I know the person better. The biggest problem IME is worrying the other person will be uncomfortable with it, and after that hoping I don't snore, smell, or wake them up with my tossing and turning.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@Tom:

"They're designed for two people and are wonderfully comfortable"

Really? Is this from personal experience? Does B. know about this? :)

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

"Not at all. But maybe if you read that one you get an idea of what direction this one is heading…"

duty calls

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just another [hot] day at the municipal pool in China:

Tanner M

@tan68

I see more than one couple sharing the same bathing suit.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In 2006 I was in Glacier NP. At camp we first went to hang our food as the protocol was. Because my shelter was lightweight, more than one wanted to borrow it to tie their bear line to and throw it over the bar to hang their food. They were not going to ask my permission. I put a stop to it since I didn't want my shelter puntured when it landed on the ground. Some have no gear respect ; ).

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me."

Steven! Steven! Wake up! Wake up Steven!
    I know, you were having a nice dream but it's time to get up.

:)

Edited to add the above smiley face.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

"I have always hiked with smallish solo shelters to keep the female hikers from pestering me all the time about sharing my tent with them.

It's frustrating. I am not an object and hate the fact that they think they can just crawl in my tent and have liberties with me."

legit lol! thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools