Topic

GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Interesting … on GoLite's website the VO24 clearly has bottle-sized side pockets … was the pack tested a pre-production version?

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi DW. You're very observant. I checked with GoLite on the side pocket height when I was writing the review. They said the photo makes them look taller than they are. The photos and specs in my review are correct; the side pockets are short and do not hold a water bottle very well. The VO24 works best with a hydration system. Cheers, Will.

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

I own this pack and use it only for day hikes. So far, I have been very pleased with it. It has a good suspension system and I really like the two hip belt pockets. Since I don't carry bottles on days hikes, the issue with the pockets has not been a problem for me

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Question then, what the heck would you use the side pockets for? I have a pack that has the same dumb style of pockets (just not stretchy though) and it is useless! Being so shallow it seems almost anything would fall out?

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Sarah: I don't use the side pockets because thay are too small and I'm afraid anything I place in them will fall out.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

From the pic it looks like the side pockets will hold the water bottle if the compression strap is used to secure the upper bottle.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Thanks for the review, Will. Interesting to see that GoLite made a change in the side pockets from this pack's predecessor, the 24. See this catalog picture that shows much taller pockets. Although, they really only work with bicycle bottles. I've tried a 1L platy and found it's just not a fit.
    PhilGoLite 24 catalog picture

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

GoLite's PhotoWill's Photo

Will:

Comparing GoLite's photo (left) to yours — the side pocket and the lower side compression strap both look completely different! I read your post above that GoLite's photo just "makes the pocket look taller" — but again, the two really look totally different. Can you elaborate more on this please?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I agree with Ben. GoLite's picture shows the top of side pocket nearly as high as the back pocket. In' Will's picture the side pocket is about 1/3 the height of the back pocket.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ben, it looks like maybe they were forced to shorten the pocket after adding the compression strap.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

That may well be… I just have a lingering doubt that current model has changed from the one that Will reviewed.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I saw one of these at REI last night. It has the shorter pocket like in Will's picture, not the one on Golite's website. The picture on Golite's website must be some pre-production model.

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

I measured the side pockets. Each one is about 3 1/2 inches deep.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If true, then GoLite needs to change its photo! How long has it been since the website update? A few months now, right?

If Golite had posted a wrong price (say, too low) — you can bet they'll fix it overnight — at the latest!!!

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"Ben, it looks like maybe they were forced to shorten the pocket after adding the compression strap."

It's not clear from the photo above, but the compressions strap is actually under the extended pocket in the photo on GoLite's website.

And the side pocket doesn't just "look" shorter – it's clearly about a third the height.

Dan Chrisman

@danchrisman

Same Pack. Different Confusion. Just how much of a difference does the spacer mesh on the back panel make? I have used my GoLite Gust for 4-5 years on 1-3 day backpacking trips (3-25 miles)and have often experienced a damp pack on my back.

DAC

Richard L Halbert
    BPL Member

@maybeoaks

I recently purchased this pack, on sale at REI. I needed a pack with lots of external pockets and this fits the bill. The side pockets are about 5 inches deep. I checked my collection of water bottles and picked a 20 oz bottle with a short, fat profile. It fits nicely in the pocket. I sewed velcro (hook and loop) across the top of the other side pocket and will use it to store gear. I'll carry a 1 or 2 L. Platypus bottle in the hydration pocket to replenish the 20 oz bottle as needed. I also sewed velcro across the large external front pocket so that it will not fill with snow or other debris. With these modifications, I'm really pleased with the pack.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools