Topic

Oh no… Another shoe question!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Oh no… Another shoe question!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I've just walked through my Vasque Pendulums; I got about 3-400 miles out of them (mostly In The White Mts. in NH, where it gets a little rough and eats up shoes pretty quickly) and loved them except I'm disappointed that they (I.e. the soles and fancy insole) didn't wear better.

What I liked best: wide toe box, relatively low drop (4 mm., I think), quickly-draining, light, durable uppers and good foot protection, good traction until the lugs broke or wore off.

Before I pony up another $100 I'd lie to hear what others wit similar taste in footwear use and like.

Thanks in advance…

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadia. It's not minimalist by any means so you won't get that low riding drop. At the same time, it is not an overblown bomber shoe either. The shoe is comfortable, durable, drains well and is great for trail running, hiking, backpacking or fastpacking in a variety of conditions. It is for this variety of use that I love the shoe. I have minimalist shoes, but FOR ME, they don't work well for all activities and conditions.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Durable
    Tough soles
    Tough upper
    Good Traction
    Low Drop

Sounds like a New Balance MT-10!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Nb 110 is pretty minimalist but I use them for everything. They just came out with a redesigned sole I want to try.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“ I got about 3-400 miles out of them …” “Before I pony up another $100 I'd like to hear what others with similar taste in footwear use and like.”

I wasn’t going to answer because I don’t have similar footwear but your mileage and cost caught my eye.

My soft-gripping-suction-cup 'spyder' rubber sole is incredible on cold wet sloping granite rocks but the short range of 300-400 miles (because the grips wear off) makes it an expensive cost— I thought. Now I wait for an email coupon from Sierra Trading post and usually pick up my Teva Terra Fi3’s for < $50.

The reason I use sandals from 20F to 120F from desert to marsh — can be found in my gear list. I go through ~2 sets/year.

Good luck in your footwear
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"Sounds like a New Balance MT-10"

Interesting observation Max. My MT10's exhibited none of those characteristics you listed other than the low drop. In fact mine were quite the opposite.

Maybe yours are a newer generation than mine (I pre-ordered mine when they first became available).

Or perhaps you were joking?

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

"Interesting observation Max. My MT10's exhibited none of those characteristics you listed other than the low drop. In fact mine were quite the opposite."

My experience mirrors yours.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools