Topic

First trip for the wife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think folks have done a great job responding! As a woman, let me reiterate several key points:

* a warm enough sleeping bag (nothing ruins a trip faster than shivering all night long!) a blow-up pillow, and a warm hat/jacket for mornings/evenings

* baby-wipe/stream-side hobo baths at the end of the day

* we do a "cocktail hour" before dinner, with some booze and a special food treat. No matter how tough the day may have been, she's going to feel better after a drink and a nibble — I call it my "attitude adjustment"

* no iodine for the water, if she's at all finicky about tastes (I use a Steripen)

* teach her the backcountry skills that will make life easier

* a post-hike treat (whether a great restaurant meal, or a slightly-fancier-than-usual hotel) helps end the whole experience on a high note.

I'm sure you'll have a great time together in that stunning area of the Sierras!

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools