Topic

Carrying a GPS unit on/in backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Carrying a GPS unit on/in backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have an eTrex 30 and am looking for suggestions about the best manner in which to carry it while hiking. I've been carrying it in a shirt pocket but like the bulky feeling.

I'd like it to be accessible so the accessory belt clip made for the eTrex 30 came to mind. However, I read a review from someone who thought the clip felt "cheap" and it malfunctioned causing the unit to fall into a stream.

I don't want it dangling and spinning around on a lanyard.

Is there a way to affix it to a shoulder, or belt, strap so it doesn't move but is easily removed when you want to take a reading?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There's a thread about GPS accuracy that talks about this

I've tried clip and concluded the same thing – can fall off, but someone else uses it successfully – try it yourself.

If you had a pocket on the shoulder strap that could hold it, that would work

I just carry in pocket, but like you said, it's sort of bulky and heavy so non-optimum

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

I clip my etrex 20 to a webbing loop on my shoulder strap using a small S-biner. I just hook it through the quarter turn fastener on the back of the battery door. A few hundred miles with this setup with no issues.GPS

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Depending on the capability of the receiver, you may be able to stick it inside your backpack. I use a Delorme PN-60 and often carry it inside my pack and it has no problem keeping contact with the satellites.

I think they also make belt holsters, that might be an option. You could strap it to your pack, if you didn't want to carry it on your hip.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Does it flop around when clipped?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I have mine on a short leash (~6") and clip the free end to a loop on my shoulder strap. Then I toss the unit (eTrex 20) behind my neck on top of my pack. It does have a tendency to slide off if you lean way forward, like to pick something up off the ground, but the lanyard keeps it from harm. And when I need it I just give the lanyard a pull, no need to unclip anything.

Adam

Scott Musack
    Spectator

@scottm

Locale: Oregon

I put a small zip tie on the GPS so I'd have an easy loop to attach to. I use a small s – biner and attach it to my chest strap so I can easily read it.

It doesn't flop around as the loop and biner are small, so very little play.

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

I don't find that it flops around much at all. I don't really notice it while hiking, but I should mention that I use this setup for on-trail hiking. If I'm bushwacking (which is usually only when I'm fishing), I tend to just leave it in my bag since I mainly just use it to mark good locations along the river and am not concerned with checking it regularly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools