Topic

WAA Ultrabag® MDS 20L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WAA Ultrabag® MDS 20L

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

WAA Ultrabag® MDS 20L

This French bag is something I really want to try. I've gone out fast trekking for longer periods of time with little more than an REI Flash Pack (~300 grams) and been, for the most part, happy. But that's not to say that I couldn't be a whole lot happier.

For a measly 200 grams I could have more storage, better balance, and constant access to things like food and water.

Next up, figuring out how to import this beauty.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Oh man, the future is now. I love it.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West
    Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

I like the black and grey option, and, of course I'd love to see this pack incorporate some even lighter materials (like cuben) where it would work and count.

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Last night while catching up on some writing I came across this trip report from UltraPedestrian Ras. While its a very compelling story on its own his sextuple crossing of the Grand Canyon was completed with his WAA Ultrabag MDS. Thus, why I reference it here.

You can also get more information about this epic crossing if you listen to the pod-cast Ultra Talk by Ian Corless, episode #36. If you can stay with the whole three hour broadcast you'll also get to hear from my friend Stevie Kremer who's been upsetting podium expectations in Europe all summer.

Enjoy!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I like the black and grey option, and, of course I'd love to see this pack incorporate some even lighter materials (like cuben) where it would work and count."

Yeah, the pack seems kind of heavy – around 3 pounds when fully outfitted if I did my conversions correctly.

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Hum, compared to other MOLLE systems three pounds is featherweight, but I agree with you. It could be much lighter. There needs to be a more refined balance between the weight of the pack and its versatility and convertibility. I wonder how many people add more than two water bottle pockets on the shoulder straps for instance? You could probably cut out at least a pound of unnecessary MOLLE webbing from other locations if you knew you'd never use those straps.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"compared to other MOLLE systems three pounds is featherweight"

True, and i assume heavier materials are used for durability – since they're made for ultras.

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

"True, and i assume heavier materials are used for durability – since they're made for ultras."

Without question, ultras where there's a lot of abrasive material floating around and getting into every knock and cranny.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools