Topic

New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SPIRIDON Papapetroy
    BPL Member

@spotlight

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Improvements so good it's highly "exciting". ;o) Thanks for the post.

OK, now I may just get that EXOS 58 I've been lusting after. Hey, I deserve it.

Still, my motto remains, "There are no comfortable packs, only packs that are less umcomfortable than others." (I love to quote myself.)

Hopefully the new EXOS 58 will be much less uncomfortable than my old REI UL 60.
    But I'll still use aftermarket side pockets on the Osprey for conveniance.

Lets' see… Moment DW W/ripstop inner, Osprey EXOS 58 … almost time for "New Gear Worship." Just can't seem to achieve that Buddhist &quo;non-attatchment" state.

UPDATE: I examined the new EXOS 58 at my Henderson, NV REI store. It has much more comfortable hipbelt and shoulder padding than the previous model and improved 2-way side mesh pockets (front AND top opening).

I was so impressed that I'm definitely getting one later this summer after I get my Moment DW.

Tanner M

@tan68

they look a little bright.

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

Yeah, can't say I'm in love with the color choices, but it looks like they simplified things a bit and trimmed some of the extraneous webbing, loops, etc. compared to my old 46L. Looks like a step in the right direction IMO.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Wow. That might make me reconsider Osprey. I'd like to see the weights and the pack up close, but I'm fairly impressed so far. They look like they've removed a lot of (IMO) unnecessary stuff while beefing up the suspension. If they come in lighter than the current Exos is spec'ed, removing the top pocket would give packs like the Ohm 2.0 some real competition.

I've always like Osprey and their fit, but the overcomplicated pack design (and thus weight) has kept me from using one long-term. I still need to see more, but it definitely looks impressive from here.

Also, the black and green isn't too bad colorwise. The blue? Not as much.

Tanner M

@tan68

I did watch the video but working from defective short term memory… I think she said around 2.5 lbs for the 58L. So that would be 7eral ounces less than the current model.

I have been mispronouncing 'Exos'…

– – but isn't the current one 42 oz..?
    so maybe not so much less

Brandon M
    Spectator

@s2bmay

Locale: DC

According to the Osprey site, the current 58L in size M is 2.5 lbs. I thought it was a bit heavier.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Looks really good! They've done some pretty good improvements. Hip belt, less stuff, lower weight. And the no lid configuration looks good too. Bought! Now, I'll need to sell my old Exos 46…

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Interesting, but I want to hit her in the head with a Nerf bat when she says the Exos is "revolutionary". LOL

Also, love the video. The cameraman steadfastly keeps his focus on the sales rep, and the sales rep steadfastly holds the damn pack 2/3 below the bottom of the screen – because what is really important is the sales rep. :-P

She lost me with the damn lid. Why can't they just get rid of them. Anyway, I just got a Kalais and its the first pack in about this weight class (48L that is, Kalais is a bit lighter) that I have ever felt is perfect, at least by my metrics, so there is no reason even to look at an Exos ever again. My Berikade Weekender gets swallowed without a trace.

I really did like the big Osprey on the old model though!

John Peeters

@johnneke

Locale: Europe

Received the new Osprey Exos 58 for my gf yesterday. Osprey support gives the following information about how the weightloss is achieved:

– Fibreglass cross-brace in back panel instead of aluminium
    – Peripheral frame is 2mm smaller in diameter
    – Harness and hip belt comprised of mesh only and no foam
    – New high tenacity Robic Nylon (same material used for car airbags), lightweight but very strong

Overall it looks very good, I was afraid that removal of the foam from the harness and hip belt would decrease the comfort but the mesh is well done and thick enough to still provide nearly the same level of comfort.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

What weight loss?
    After ditching pockets, zippers, and padding, they list it as being 2oz heavier than the old version.
    Does the 58 have a crosspiece under the mesh backpanel?
    Can't see one on the 48 they give the rotating view of on their site.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I have one of the 1st gen. 58L Exos (orange/gray). After some (mostly reversible) stripping, it weighs 33 oz. Now that it's no longer new and shiny, I'm tempted to really go at it and see how light it can get…

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

The new 48L does have a cross piece but it is sewn in under the fabric.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Thanks, Christian.

David..curious what you did to drop that much weight(?).
    Mine has the sleeping pad straps, the shock corded connectors for tool attachments up top, and everything related to the Stowit feature for the trekking poles removed, but as I recall everything I cut off only totalled an ounce.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Everything you did, Owen. Plus shortened straps where possible and (biggest savings) removed lid and drawstring. Lid alone is 5 oz (according to an old spreadsheet–haven't weighed it lately). Then converted it to an okay (but not entirely successful) roll top.

I don't use the pack much, but if I were to go further I'd remove the roll top conversion (same weight as the 'heavy' drawstring and cord lock) and replace with lighter cord and cord lock–that would get me back most of the original volume (minus lid). Then strip out hydration sleeve, the little gel pouch (or whatever it is) on the left strap and all the elastic bits on the strap meant to hold a hydration hose. Maybe one (or both) of the mesh pockets on the hip belt.

A while back, someone posted they'd removed the fabric separating the long zippered pockets from the main bag–that might be going too far. Really radical surgery would get rid of the side mesh pockets and front stretch pocket. That might leave something like 50 liters or so effective volume with no compromise to the suspension and maybe 1.5# finished weight.

Tempting.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Thanks, David.
    Figured you'd say the lid, but I do want to keep that. The 58 is my "big pack", and I was looking for free ounces that didn't compromise any function, so was eyeing the other things you mentioned like the bladder sleeve, strap length, little stretch pocket, even the zipper pulls. Hate the hipbelt pockets, but do use them for snacks and a small camera. Those could go, too, though.
    The weight is really immaterial at this point, but I like the idea of minimalizing everything. I want to shorten those packlid straps just because the excess length gets on my nerves, even when tucked in the hydration ports. Even better would be some little buckles that would allow removing the packlid, and maybe even using the vertical straps like the new versions do with the "flapjacket" feature.
    That might be something to play with…

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Hey folks, check Amazon if you're about to buy at retail.
    I'd been debating an Exos 34 for a summer pack before the model change, and just ordered an Exos 38 to try for $120.62. Standard shipping was only $5.15, though I paid an extra $10 to be able to use it this coming Wednesday.

Edit: the new Exos has a different feel and fit than the previous ones.
    Actual weight on a 38L in size M is heavier than advertised at 36 3/8oz. The lid weighs 3 3/8oz, so 33oz without the lid.
    The construction of the shoulder straps and hipbelts, and their, along with the rear stretch mesh pocket's, materials seem much less durable.
    I'm pretty underwhelmed by what they've done with the pack, and will probably be returning this one.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

These look promising, but I don't think I'll be trading in my granite gear pack for the exos.

I've always been amazed at osprey's knack for making things complicated, heavy, and awkward (to me) across their pack ranges. For years they have reminded me of the early days of REI when they would come out with some really goofy stuff (sorry osprey fans, that's just the way I see it, please continue to enjoy your packs).

I do hope this is a good one (even if not 'revolutionary' as claimed).

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

After playing with the pack, some of my initial gripes about fit have been addressed, though I'm still debating the durability of the hipbelt, harness, and stretch mesh panel.

Here are a few pics.
    The fit difference is from what is probably an improvement, since now the load lifters actually function better as load lifters!

Old Exos 58:
    exos58loadlifters

New Exos 38:
    exos38loadlifters

The shoulder straps and hipbelt are constructed like channels.
    Shoulder strap:
    exos38shoulder
    Unfortunately, this is stitched inside so that as-is you can't run a hose for a bladder(or my Platy Hoser) through it.

Hipbelt:
    exos38belt

Inside the hipbelt:
    exos38padding

The harness:
    exos38harness

The stretch pocket:
    exos38stretch

A less obvious change is to the side compression straps. On the older Exos they adjust at the top and middle of the pack. Now they have a continuous strap that adjusts top and bottom. I'm not high on this idea, because if you want to compress the bottom half and have the straps run inside the water bottle pocket you can't get to bottom buckle without reaching into the pocket. If I keep the pack, time will tell if it's really a "problem", but it seems inconvenient.

This basically acts as a slide lock. Edit: lets you take out the slack so that all the extra is at the top once you have the pack loaded. Not as inconvenient as I thought it might be, and no real need to use the bottom buckle. Being so familiar with the older Exos, I'm having to "learn" this one a bit, and being very resistant to change, also to get past a slight "different is bad" mentality…starting to like this pack the more I fool around with it.
    slidelock

Bottom buckle:
    exos38bottombuckle

Another change is that the sleeping pad straps are on the bottom of the pack, and widely spaced. Having bemoaned the loss of an outside pocket for easy access to my shelter, I might actually use these.
    With fly and stakes for a TT Notch:
    padstraps

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

At first look, the Osprey Exos 48 resembles the REI Flash 45.

Similar layout, pocket placement, etc…

Osprey Exos 48 (Large) $189
    51 liters (3112 cu.in.)
    weight: 2 lbs. 6 oz.

REI Flash 45 (Large) $129
    50 Liters (3051 cu.in.)
    weight: 2 lbs. 4 oz.

Both have pockets on the hip belts, but I like the pockets on the shoulder straps of the Exos. Slightly different frame setup, and a few other small details, but very similar.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"At first look, the Osprey Exos 48 resembles the REI Flash 45."

If that is at all accurate the EXOS is probably a nice pack but, I'll stick with my Flash especially since it is cheaper. I have used it for a few trips of varying length and really like it.

Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

When I saw the new version being released, I got excited by some of the features/stats. Unfortunately, the comfort didn't live up to the hype.

After trying on a number of packs at an REI several years ago, the Exos was my choice based on comfort. It fit my body type well and offered a number of features I liked. I used it for quite a while and loved it. I ended up selling it for something smaller, but always missed using it for the bigger volume trips.

So, when I saw this hit REI, I ordered one right away and eagerly awaited its arrival. The features are all great – big hipbelt buckle, flapjack cover when the lid wasn't needed, kept the trekking pole stow and go (which I used ALL the time). I loaded it up with 27 lbs of gear and walked around some steeper trails near my neighborhood. The hip belt and shoulder straps have both changed and both to my disappointment.

The padded portion of the shoulder straps is shorter and feels very awkward. The hip belt now sits in a way where it applies pressure onto my hip bones and makes it one of the most uncomfortable packs I've ever worn. My Gossamer Gear Mariposa and ULA Circuit are both about the same size and are orders of magnitude more comfortable. I returned it immediately.

I will say that this pack (like its predecessor) probably fits lots of people very well. I applaud Osprey for trying to bring a mass market lightweight pack out with continued innovation. But, these tend to either fit great or terribly. Unfortunately, the newest one is the latter for me.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Botsaris,

They keep the lid so You can get rid of it and I can keep it and convert it to a fanny pack for day trips away from camp.

Nuf sed.

J Mag

@goprogator

Agreed. I picked up a Flash 45 from REI for under $70 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. While there isn't a whole lot that can be done to lighten it other than remove the lid (not worth it to me) and bladder sleeve (I probably will), for a framed pack just over 2 lbs and 50L (size large) I would call it a good deal if you find it comfortable .

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

Well I just ordered a Flash 45 to compare with my 2014 Exos before I decide to keep it. Wish I would have caught the big sale on the 45 a few weeks ago when I ordered the Exos but it is still affordable. Lots of good things have been said about the 45 and I am looking forward to comparing them side by side.

I haven't had the Exos out for an extended hike but my initial impressions are positive. It is an improvement over the previous model. I agree with others who have said the hip belt is a little uncomfortable as it feels as if something is digging into my hip. When my girlfriend tried on the pack that was the first thing she noticed. The load lifters work very well. While odd looking I find the mesh padding in the shoulder straps comfortable. Overall the pack has the typical Osprey over complicated appearance with straps and buckles all over. Love the trampoline back panel and it doesn't dig into my lower back like the previous Exos model.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools