Topic

What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What are the most useful inexpensive items you carry?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Delmar, I wish the idea was mine :D Got if from Ultralight Backpacking Tips by Mike Clelland.

I find the pillow works better with smaller bags, it cradles my head easier.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

So many great ideas I think I have syphoned most of them to lower my base weight to the lower half of the UL packer :)

More ideas please :)

1.Here is another of mine; Can't remember where I got this spoon from but at 2.1g I am loving it. The handle is not the longest and I was going to gut slots out from the very end to make a spork but I haven't had any problems eating noodles with it so it's staying :)

2.1g spoon

2.Found in a 2 dollar shop contact lense kits with small screw top bottles (I think they are about 10ml each) great for things like hand sanitizer, sun cream, deet, antiseptic cream etc etc. With the product in them they weigh just over 10g and have enough in there for a few days of hike.

10ml bottles

3.Travel toothbrush kit. In the picture is the packaged item $2 from the chemist/drug store and after a bit of McGyvering. 11grams and the full tube of paste is enough for a week.

SUL toothbrush kit

4.the 3ml bottle. It started out as a mouth mint bottle but can be refilled with anything from Dettol (clean wound) to whatever. $1 from chemist/drugstore.

3ml bottle

5.The Red Rooster wet wipe. It's the lightest one I have found. Comes free :). Each one out of the packet weighs 2.1 grams. I love these things for a freshen up or a 'shower' when you get into camp, to clean cooking equipment out, wipe hands etc etc. A bunch of these in a ziplocked bag and they don't dry out.

red rooster wet wipes

More ideas please :)

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Found this blow up travel pillow in a $2 dollar shop. Can blow it up as hard or as soft as you prefer, 49grams (1.75 ounces)

pillow

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools