Topic

2 days / 1 night / 20 miles. Food ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition 2 days / 1 night / 20 miles. Food ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hey Folks,

I'm going backpacking in Point Reyes with a Meetup Group I joined. It's supposed to be a pretty flat hike. 10 miles in. 10 miles out. One night this weekend.

Since it's only 1 night I wanna keep food simple and light, but I also want some luxuries like some wine and cheese for after dinner. Any awesome ideas?

I only have 10.5 lbs before food and water, so base it off that. Thanks.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Steven,

Check out Sarah's website. Lots of great ideas there.

http://www.trailcooking.com/

Search "Backpacking Pad Thai" on YouTube.

Not sure what you like so I’ll just share what I do. Your hike sounds pretty relaxed so I'd guess you'd be fine with a 2-3k calorie menu.

I start my day heavy on the carbs and load up on protein and fat towards the end of the day. This system (theoretically) gives me my energy for the hike, protein for my recovery, and slow burning fat calories to help me sleep warm. Below is a typical day's menu for me.

Pop tarts and a Carnation breakfast drink (has some maltodextrin) are 550 calories. Maybe add honey bun or something if I want more calories. Low mile days I'll have hot coffee. I'll add instant coffee to my breakfast drink if I need to hit the trail early.

Mid-morning some M&Ms, dehydrated fruit, wheat thins, some kind of maltodextrin drink, etc.

Lunch a couple tortillas and Justin PB packets, Mike and Ikes, beef jerky, almonds, etc

Mid-afternoon more or less like mid-morning but with protein drink/bar and some electrolytes as needed.

Dinner typical hiker chow. Mountain House, mac & cheese (or ramen) w/ pepperoni, something from Trailcooking.com, etc

An hour before bed Little Debbie’s brownie and hot chocolate.

I add some gorp, candy, pro bars, olive oil, etc here and there to add calories as I need them.

Edit edit edity edit: something for your wine: http://www.rei.com/product/781835/platypus-platypreserve-wine-preservation-system-27-fl-oz

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

You have a reasonbably low base weight.
    It's just an overnighter with easy distances (max 5 hours actual hiking each day?) – so a bit of a holiday really?

I'd carry whatever nice 'real' food I felt like taking and enough fuel (if not using a fire) to cook the evening meal properly. And some red wine and cheese to share.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

If you're already committed to wine and cheese, go the whole antipasto route and get some fruit, veggies, charcuterie, and good bread in the mix.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Add dried salami and slices of baguette to your wine & cheese.

My favorite lunch is Justin's peanut butter packets with a berry-flavored energy gel on flat sandwich rounds.

On one of our PCT section hikes, a group sharing our campsite made some kind of spoonable gooey chocolate-peanut butter mess in a ziploc that was awesome. If I knew what it was called it would probably be easy to link to a recipe, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

hey guys,

so i never got notified of replies on this thread and just got done shopping. great ideas for next time.

breakfast:
    2 instant oatmeal packets (apple cinnamon)
    1 pop tart
    1 cup of instant starbucks coffee

lunch:
    flour tortilla
    dried salami
    extra sharp tilamook cheese

dinner:
    mountain house beef & chili mac

snacks:
    GORP
    peanut butter crackers
    pay day candy bar (avoiding chocolate to prevent melting)
    fritos
    oatmeal raisin cookies

next time around i'm gonna try "moose goo" and some of the things u guys suggested

what kinda weight/calories should i shoot for? i'm thinking 1.5-1.75lbs per day, giving me 2400-2700 calories roughly. i'm 5'8, 165 lbs. thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools