Topic

Band Aid Friction Block = Crisco = Fire Starter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Band Aid Friction Block = Crisco = Fire Starter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I bought a roll-on stick of Band-Aid Friction Block this evening. I want to experiment with it and see if it helps resolve a burning-balls-of-feet problem I'm having. [EDIT: That, it did not do.] Imagine my surprise when I read the ingredients:

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Crisco, basically)
    Cetyl Alcohol (a thickening agent, aka a "fatty alcohol")
    Fragrance.

See any dual use possibilities here? No, I'm not saying we cook with Friction Block! I'm wondering if Crisco wouldn't do a decent job of reducing foot friction/waterproofing feet, as well as providing cooking fat and fire-starting capabilities.

YES, we all know Crisco isn't healthy. Lots of calories aren't. I don't mean to start a Crisco-bashing thread.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

And it gives your feet the most delicious light and flaky crust.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Might you wake up to a bear licking your feet?

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

along those lines … of organic skin care. at one time i contracted a nasty bit of industrial caused skin problems on my hands. they were red, and hurt, and dry, and it looked icky. (too far over the line of casual contact of naptha based cleaner/thinners).
    i rubbed them down one night with olive oil. what the heck, romans used it, and before them, everybody else as well. by next morning, things were a LOT better. cured. fixed. olive oil repairs skin, simple as that.
    if one could stomach the thought of packing olive oil, which is a risky business leakage wise, it might have value.

on the other hand, i have no idea if it burns suitably.

v.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Interesting re olive oil, will remember this.

Regards bear attractant, are you saying Friction Block may bring in the bears? It's got a lot of fragrance in it, along with calories, so…yeah, probably so. Now I have another reason not to use it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you really want to fool with the black bears, get some Oil of Anise. Put some on an old cloth and tack it up on a tree.

Apparently bears confuse the scent with the bear sex attractant, so you may have your hands full with bears that night.

Oh, don't let the rangers catch you doing that.

–B.G.–

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

"Apparently bears confuse the scent with the bear sex attractant"

Sounds like a great idea to pass along to the Top Gear guys. I'm sure they could work that into an episode.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

"on the other hand, i have no idea if it burns suitably."

I've never tried it, but yes, olive oil should definitely burn, and won't smoke as bad as some oils.

People have been using it in oil lamps in place of kerosene for years:
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/make-olive-oil-lamp.aspx#axzz2cuwD5MPi

Skin conditioner, fire starter, and high calorie food substance? Now that's multi-use.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I've recommended Crisco to many patients with dry skin. A Dermatologist friend suggest it to me. Works pretty well for mild cases.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Have you tried Rocktape? It sticks better than any other tape I've used – it will stay on for 4-5 days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools