Topic

I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I am BPL my hiking buddy is BPH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Same Elliot.. trail runners in the Whites work great. I think even better than boots since they usually have better traction on rock, especially slabs than boots. Boots destroy my knees since my ankles can't move freely.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, a lot of people say that. But after three sets of well broken in runners (a good 6 months to a year) I still could not make them work without all sorts of blisters. Usually the little toe, and all around the base of the ankle. I used to run every day about 5-7mi in the SAME runners with no problems.

I also tried some high sneakers, but the soles weren't stiff enough for good sole protection. Soo, I pretty much gave up and went back to boots.

Almost all of the lower cut runners have the same problem. When I step on an odd surface, they twist into my foot just below the ankles. On fairly flat trails, the few with no rocks, gullys or other obstuctions, the work fine. I believe I have very thin heels. I kknow they are about two thirds the size of my wife's. My wrists are the same way. Often, a mens watch band will be in the last hole. At the podiatrist he says I have a wide toe placement though. Soo, I cut a liner to fit my heel on my boots and let it go. This doesn't work with runners, though. I can easily fit three fingers along the sides. My partner doesn't have that problem, but still wears boots. Off-trail hiking can be a bear without good boots.

Anyway, my boots weigh about 1#3. My Solomons weigh about 14oz for a 5oz difference. I'll take the boots for 5oz simply for the fact that for 90% of their life time (about 8 years now) they are good enough for most any conditions.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

James:

Wow, you've got mutant feet! ;-)

I have problems as well, my feet are flat and wide. If I can't find wide shoes I have to go with a large size, which generally works out ok despite the big space in front of my toes (better than too small, of course).

As Peter Spier (kid's book author) noted in People, it's much better if everyone is different…

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Well, sad to say if he is BPH, you will lose.
    You have to travel at his pace.

However, if its someone whose company you enjoy, that is the only thing that matters.

I think, we can learn something from everyone, even if their gear choice is not the same as ours. Doesnt mean we want to adopt it, but we can learn from others points of view.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you guys are now considering a winter base weight of 25 pounds HEAVY. I understand that it's not UL or SUL, but HEAVY?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Michael,

A 25lb winter base weight is light for a lot of people.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools