Topic

CDT SUL Hiker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique CDT SUL Hiker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

If you've never heard of him, he is one of the most ardent SUL long distance hikers around. Francis Tapon is currently on a CDT Yo Yo. He previously completed the AT and PCT in SUL Style.

His tale of a CDT Colorado snowstorm under a small Cuben fiber tarp is wild.

Check out francistapon.com. Click on the CDT link on the home page and then to the bottom of the CDT page for the trip updates.

***On his base pack weight: Note the late winter type temps/weather he is undertaking by starting much earlier than regular for a NB CDT hike.

http://francistapon.com/

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

When asked,

> How fast will you hike?

Francis responded with this,

>My strategy is simple: use New Mexico
    > as the warm up and the cool down. Go
    > like hell the rest of the time.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

His website says the base pack weight on the AT was about 7 pounds. For the PCT he says ultralight but gives no gearlist. On the CDT he says less than 10 pounds. SUL this is not ; ).

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Hey John,

Francis lists his base pack weight for the CDT at 6.64 pounds here. He notes elsewhere that if he ditches the digital camera, MP3 player, and solar panel, he's under 5 pounds total.

I'm sure Doug Johnson isn't impressed (since he managed to get a camera and MP3 player into his sub-4 gearlist), but I am!

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools