Topic

If it rains do you keep going?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If it rains do you keep going?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Sometimes rain is nice.
    I like a light cool drizzle when the weather is hot otherwise.

I dont like torrential storms

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Learn to like being wet. It's just part of the experience.

If you were sweaty and hot in your rain gear, then don't wear it! In warm rain I always wear shorts and let my legs get wet (wet pants are generally uncomfortable). Sometimes I will even go shirtless. Rain pants aren't necessary unless it's a cold rain.

Don't use a pack cover, line your gear with a trash bag.

Always have dry clothing to change into when you set up camp. You can be warm while wet when moving but when you stop moving you will get cold fast.

In extended cold rain you are going to get wet either way so take a good fleece or wool mid layer to layer under your rain jacket.

Wear shoes with good, aggressive traction for mud.

Just my tips, I'm not super experienced with wet weather.

I think that wet weather trips offer a unique experience but I wouldn't want it to rain on every trip. It would eventually get tiring and detract from the experience.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Upon reading the replies my mistakes were;

1.Wearing too many layers under rain gear. I quickly over heated and was sweaty that sucked.
    2.Compactor bag for back pack
    3.Seperate plastic bags for must stay dry items like sleeping gear and clothes
    4.Get a bigger towel for drying off
    5.Haven't got any vents on my rain jacket so there might be a modification or 3 coming up!
    6.I have high ankled gortex boots…..just love'em, very comfy though very long to dry I have noticed. May need to look into this too but I think I'll wear them out first as they cost me a pretty penny!

I really feel the cold on the best of days so when I am wet as soon as I stop the chills set in. I do wear synth base layers as they are light and very punchy for their weight AND dry quickly.

Thank you for your advice it's very much appreciated!!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

…as the SEALs say. Just keep walking after donning WPB raingear. But put it on only if you think hypothermia is a possibility without it. Otherwise your regular synthetic clothes can suffice B/C they will dry (relatively) fast later.

(Hypothermia can occcur even in 60F weather if you are wet enough long enough.)

I like eVent for its breathability but I slow down when wearing it so as to not overwhelm its moisture transport capability.

Ot use a Packa. Great design!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Yes, yes and yes.

Read the article cited by Marc Eldridge; it says it all! Even after almost 70 years of backpacking, I learned new things from it!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools