Topic

Sand Lake Falls – Adirondacks , NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sand Lake Falls – Adirondacks , NY

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I decided to head out on a hike I had dreamed about for many years – Sand Lake Falls in the West Central Adirondacks. The hike itself isn't all that difficult. It's basically a 7.2 mile (one way) moderately level hike to a beautiful waterfall that sees few visitors each year. I went the weekend of July 13-14, 2013 and the last entry in the shelter logbook was from a hiker passing through on May 29th. The thing that made this hike difficult was the heat and humidity. Well, that and swarms and swarms of mosquitos and gnats.

The hike itself was pretty uneventful and I hope to go back someday when the weather is more favorable. Unfortunately, even though the surroundings were awesome, I couldn't sit around and take it all in due to the bugs, so I retired to my hammock around 7 to read and listen to my ipod. I was sleeping in a WB Traveller with a 40 degree HG UQ and a WB Travelnet. Well, not sleeping, sweating. After about an hour I realized I needed to do something about the UQ, since the very thing that makes it great in cool weather was the same thing that was killing me right then – it does a great job of retaining heat! After I moved the UQ off to the side I finally started to cool down and at some point ity actually did cool down. I believe I had one of the best nights sleep I've ever had in a hammock that night.

A detailed trip report and all of my trip pics can be seen on my blog http://www.walkingwiththeson.com

Here are few pics from the trip:

Sand Lake Falls lean-to

Sand Lake Falls

Home for the night

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools