Jul 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm #1305610
After my 9th quilt (and 1 bag), I am only going to make 1 more for a while.
Going for a quilt to fill as many niches as possible.
I have seemed to make way to many quilts to fill a small niche.
This time I want a "go to" quilt.
After seeing Ady's quilt:
I loved so many things about it and knew I could add a few things to make it my perfect quilt.
So here are a few things I look for in a quilt.
1. Get down to and be warm at 30 degrees without bringing any extra "sleep only" clothing.
2. Be able to use in wet conditions with a minimal tarp.
3. I also cowboy camp most of the time so it needs to as water resistant as possible.
4. Fit well without drafts.
So the idea is to add a draft collar that also seals in the head.
I didn't think this would work until I did a mock up. It came out exactly the way I was hoping.
I will fill it with 12 ounces of down. I always think 9 should be good and have 2 quilts with 9 oz and they are only warm down to 40* (if I'm lucky).
For the waterproofness I am using M50 without any stitching on the outside and Nobul2 inside.
The top stitches from the baffles will sew onto a 2nd layer of Nobul along the 40" center width of the main body of the quilt. I've done this with some per-quilted insulation thru-hiker used to sell. It is one of the quilts with 9 oz of down. The pre-quilt works great, but the bag comes out to 26 ounces and only adds about 5 degrees.
This will add about 1.7 ounces but will be worth the water and wind proof it will give it. Finished weight should be no more than 19 ounces.
I'll add a strip of velcro along where the two pieces come together on the picture below.
This is the bottom of the quilt and the head goes through the hole at the top of this picture.
I'll start putting it together next week, just made the order.Jul 21, 2013 at 5:09 am #2007987
@funnymoLocale: Sunshine State
Thought-provoking as always, Aaron.
Can't wait to see the finished product. Might the Velcro (or the edge of) be scratchy against your neck?
BTW, I too, find 9oz of down unsatisfactory at 30 w/o add'l insulation.Jul 21, 2013 at 10:28 am #2008047
I will just reset the velcro in about an inch (and add an inch to the fabric. It is on the ground so it won't even show.
While it is not velcroed together is will still be on the outside and not in the way.
Made the order, yea.Jul 26, 2013 at 11:00 pm #2009910
The quilt is in the making.
I am just not doing the following
"For the waterproofness I am using M50 without any stitching on the outside and Nobul2 inside.
The top stitches from the baffles will sew onto a 2nd layer of Nobul along the 40" center width of the main body of the quilt."
If I really want waterproof, I can just seam seal it.
Don't tempt me.Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 am #2009947
@retiredjerryLocale: Oregon and Washington
I made dwon quilt with M50 on outside, nobul1 on inside
M50 seems totally down-proof
nobul1 seems to be leaking a little down. Probably not enough to matter. Next time I might use something different but I need to use it more before I get better opinion. I weighed it carefully so I can measure down loss over time.Jul 27, 2013 at 9:32 am #2009967
@ckrusorLocale: Northwest US
I have a down quilt from Zpacks with Nobul1 inside and out, and I haven't observed a single down cluster coming through yet. I remember someone mentioning, though, that there have been at least two versions of Nobul1 (not just different names). If that is true (I don't know), then some batches of it might be more downproof than others.Jul 27, 2013 at 10:02 am #2009971
@retiredjerryLocale: Oregon and Washington
Maybe my leakage was just left over from filling, I'll have to keep an eye on itJul 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm #2010433
Quilt in the making.
This quilt was very easy.
Six 2" baffles.
I left 5" of the baffle stitching open at the bottom so I can transfer down from one baffle spacing to the next.
Also made it so I could put all the down in at once.Jul 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm #2010436
And it's done. It only took 4 hours to make this quilt, very easy process.
The outside baffle spacing was just sewn-thru.
I've done other quilts and it worked great.
Not folded correctly, thats why the shape is off.
I also had to add a footbox as it wasn't long enough. I thought 78" instead of 80" would be long enough with the added top part, but it was not.
Love the shape. It allows the quilt to completely cover my ears while still fitting perfectly around the neck.
Average 5 1/2" of dual layer loft (2 3/4" single layer) 12 ounces of 850 down.
The shape is just made so it all flows better than the original design with the paper cutout.
I had a velcro piece added to keep the fabric together in the back of the head, but it didn't work out the way it should have so I just took it off.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.