Topic

UL fishing footwear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara UL fishing footwear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Do you guys have any suggestions for UL fishing footwear while backpacking, and just for day trips? I usually bring along a pair of homemade blue foam flip-flops. Should I invest in neoprene socks?

I'm thinking of something fairly inexpensive, and LIGHT.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I fish in the same shoes I hike in, my Inov8 Roclite 295's.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I just got back from a trip to the South Fork of the Flathead, and I felt that the NRS neoprene socks plus my trail runners worked very well.

My only complaint is the silt and small rocks that got in my shoes, but the velcro on my Dirty Girl gaiters came loose, so I think if I fix that, they'll keep the silt and stuff out. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I think it matters what your priorities are. If you are backpacking first and fishing second or if you are fishing first and backpacking second.

I think the advice you have already been given is great if you are backpacking first. But if your priority is fishing–then I would recommend Hippies by Chota.

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/hippies-convertible-wading-socks/

I use mine with my regular running/hiking shoes. In size XL they weigh a total of 22 ozs. Mobility is great in them and then when fishing is done, they just peel off and hang on my pack to dry a bit. Just a thought.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

+1 on the chotas love mine

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Do you think the NRS neoprene socks would do dual duty going through cold, wet snowfields as well? Or do you think waterproof Goretex socks might be better? I kind of agree with you, having non-waterproof socks that keep you warm is probably better than waterproof socks when wading in a stream, since you're liable to let water in over the tops.

By the way, which NRS wetsocks do you prefer?

There are the "hydroskins" and just the regular wetsocks. The "hydroskins" are $5 more.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1168

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I like the Walmart Croc-off's, which cost less than nine dollars a set and are comfortable, don't absorb water and are light "as a feathah": Size 13: 10.7oz; Size 6: 6.7oz.

Walmart Croc-offs

I find they're pretty grippy in lakes and streams, and they're thick enough that I can walk over gravel or rocks in the dark without painful surprises…not to mention the advantage of toe coverage. They dry as soon as they're shaken, and are fantastic for late-night treks to the loo, etc…

These are currently "out of season" at Walmart and will not return until last Spring, 2014. They're a standard recommendation on my Gear Lists for Scouts and are universally-loved by those who bring them along on trips. They are bulky in manly feet sizes, so I strap them to the outside of the pack. Of course, with the pack you see in my avatar there, I do have room, ha ha!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools