Topic

safety of using fibreglass insulation in alcohol stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear safety of using fibreglass insulation in alcohol stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sean Perry

@shaleh

Locale: SF Bay Area

Ok, call me timid but is it safe to use fibreglass insulation this way? Are there types of insulation NOT to use?

I have tried searching for other people asking this and have not found anything, hope this is not a FAQ.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I can't think of a reason why not, other than taking reasonable precautions to not handle or breathe it when building the stove.

You wouldn't want to use anything that would melt at high temps, or would break down in contact with the fuel. Fiberglass passes both tests.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

You miught want to use gloves when you handle it. Experience in using fiberglass on various boats taught me that a little fiberglass "dust" and one may itch a bit. Think tiny slivers. The stuff isn't really toxic unless you were to get a lungfull of fiberglass dust. Just be reasonably careful. I've used a "ton" of the insulation in stoves with no ill effects.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools