Topic

Sawyer Squeeze “grafity filter” bag recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer Squeeze “grafity filter” bag recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    John Borton
    BPL Member

@thinairdesigns

I have 4 of the 96oz Nalgene Canteens and in one year of reasonable (but not heavy) use I have had 2 failures — both of the same variety.

The failure point is where the flexible plastic joins the solid block at the mouth. Just pinholes and seems to be a fatigue failure from folding them up in my pack.

I loved them — they were light and *seemed* more durable than some of the alternatives, but unless I can figure out how to stow them in a better manner and make them last as such I'm going to have to give up on them.

Bummed.

JB

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As I read through this thread, I thought about using a recycled gallon PETE drinking water jug for camp use only (clean end). They are so light that you could stash it on the outside of a pack to avoid crushing it to fit inside. We used a couple for car camping trips this summer and they are as long lived as the smaller ones.

I don't think there is a lighter or cheaper way to manage a gallon of water:
    Water jug

My local Seattle Goodwill stores have been selling these 2.8 liter bags for $1.79. They should work fine for the dirty end. Take a paper punch and make a couple holes in the bottom flange to hang them with (or a Platy). BTW, I think they are a little shy of 2.8 liters.

Goodwill water bladder

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools