Topic

Golden Trout suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Golden Trout suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Looks like I might have a weekend without the wife and baby over Labor day, so I was thinking of going backpacking or fishing. Then I thought, golden trout are on my bucket list, so maybe I can do both?!

Does anyone have any experience/suggestion for golden trout fishing? Am I pretty much limited to the golden trout wilderness? I've read that there is a lake or two out of mineral king that hold golden trout, but I'd like to go somewhere that will give me the best oportunity to catch some.

I would also like to make it a good backpacking trip as well, so I'd prefer not to be on a dirt "pedestrian highway" to the most well know golden trout spot in the world. Especially being a holiday weekend, there will be more people out than normal.

Also, keep in mind I need time to fish so I'll need to keep it under 10 miles, preferably 6. Unless I make it a 3 day weekend, then I can do 10 miles in and out and just hang out and fish the second day, maybe some short day hikes to other water.

If I can't find any good suggestions I guess I'll just try and do a loop in Desolation.

P.S. I'm coming from the SF south bay area. And, being slow and out of shape, 10 miles is the longest day I've hiked, and it was litterally sun up to sun down for me.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don't have much fishing experience (yet), but I've done a handful of trips into the Golden Trout with some friends whose family has a private inholding within the Golden Trout Wilderness.

You can access the Little Kern River from the westside from the Jerkey Meadows or Lewis Camp THs off Hwy 190 behind Springville. It's a popular area with the horsepacker crowd but not many hikers.

To the Little Kern from either of these THs is about 5-7 miles depending upon where you end up (Grey's Meadow or the crossing of the Little Kern on the way to Trout Meadows). Continuing on to the Kern River at Kern Flats is another 3 or 4 miles I recall. From there, you can follow trails up or downstream along the Kern.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Try these areas. Also, some of the little lakes above Purple Lake. Seems it was the Second Recess stream I caught a couple last year off of Mono Creek. Caught a nice one at Izakk Walton a few years back, off the JMT Hwy.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Since this is a very low water year in the Southern Sierra I'd think about heading to some lakes rather than a hike into some of the creeks/smaller rivers in the GTW. One possibility is the Cottonwood Lakes basin out of the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead. All five of the Cottonwood Lakes hold some nice goldens as do Long Lake and the South Fork Lakes. From the trail head, it's about a 5 mile hike in with a 1,000ft elevation change. However the elevation starts at 10,000ft and climbs up to just over 11,000ft at the lakes. No major passes to head over but you will be feeling the elevation. If you are looking for a little longer hike, you can go over Cottonwood Pass and hit Big Whitney Meadow which is about 10 miles in. Lots of pretty little golden trout to be caught in Golden Trout Creek. The only catch here, is that the trail head is just a little ways south of Lone Pine, CA which makes it a fairly significant drive from the Bay Area.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

For a longer trip you could try Lou Beverly and Sandpiper lakes. Lou Beverly was absolutely loaded with Golden's when I was there last year. Fishing is supposed to be great all the way up Bear Creek too, though the group was moving too quickly for me to try it. You could take two days getting there with lots of fishing breaks and then hike out in a day – it would be all downhill on the way out.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I am told by my buddies that I caught a Golden Trout at Treasure Lakes out of the South Lake trail head in Inyo NF. Would probably be a little closer drive for you than Golden Trout wilderness.

you be the judge:
    Golden Trout

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

I love you guys! No, really, I do! I'm getting excited just thinking about it! I sure hope it works out that I can go.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you have there Ben, is a baby rainbow. I catch a lot of those drifting a single egg in small streams. Fun little buggers on light gear.

Mike Farrell
    Spectator

@m-farrell

Locale: C.A

Here is a nice Cottonwood Lakes Golden trout.
    Golden Trout

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools