Topic

What would you use????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What would you use????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

If you were going to make a bivanorak (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/HL1080)
    what type of fabric would you use?
    I was thinking of momentum or epic, maybe goretex (or the like)

Thanks

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Hmmm, of the choices you outlined, and based upon what is readily available, I would choose Epic-treated ripstop nylon. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics supposedly has some right now, although it hasn't hit the catalog yet. Their current stock is reportedly sub-2oz.

Be aware that Epic has issues with poor breathability in temps below freezing, but is otherwise a good waterproof breathable performer. But by contrast, Goretex always has issues with poor breathability, Momentum isn't waterproof enough, and silnylon is not breathable at all. Event would be your best choice, but it isn't commercially available, so you'd have to convince a gear manufacturer to sell you some of their stock.

Yup, I think Epic is the ticket.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools