Topic

Momentum Synthetic Quilt 10 oz. 40 degree

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Momentum Synthetic Quilt 10 oz. 40 degree

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    reuben bolieu

@bearthedog76

Locale: SoCAL

Here is my first quilt made out of Momentum90 0.9 oz and Climashield XP. Quality continuous filament insulation. This is the first in a line of super ultralight quilts I will be making. They will be the absolute lightest on synthetic quilts. Momentum90 0.9 oz / 1.1 oz Nylon Ripstop . Climashield XP. 40*quilt greybacksidevelcro and drawopenclosedtest

Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

They look really nice and the weight it quite impressive. At that weight I would assume that you are using just one layer of Climashield, correct? You aren't doing the sew-thru baffles. How are you getting the insulation to stay put??

reuben bolieu

@bearthedog76

I am using one sheet and it seems to work well. I have been testing it in the deserts and high altitudes. I have a fanatic fringe quilt 30* which weighs 19 oz. and I always liked their simple design of just a basic quilt sewn together at the sides. The only issue people bring up is the durability of the insulation to the shell when stuffing. I don't use a stuff sack in my set up just place it at the bottom of my pack and let the rest of the gear compress it down. This way it stays a little more lofted I guess. Since most SUL backpackers already expand their sleep system by adding clothing while they sleep I think one sheet is the way to go for 40*-50* weather. I will make one with two sheets for much colder weather and I don't think it will add too much weight. Mine differs from the Fanatic Fringe by using lighter insulation and adding a drawstring for the neck.

I will also be making a hammock/bivy quilt with no neck closure drawstring since the nature of a hammock and bivy already keep the quilt tucked in and cuts drafts and bugs to some degree.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That looks great.

How does the drawstring stay together behind your neck?

Thanks,
    Todd

reuben bolieu

@bearthedog76

I used velcro for the back of the neck and drawstrings on the front. In the picture of me holding up you can see the shock cord in the front.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Looks really great. Let me know when they are up for sale, I may be interested!
    Cheers,
    Sven

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Nicely done…

I gotta ditto the comments about making sure to post when you're ready to sell them.

Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

What are the dimensions on your quilt (length, width@foot and width@top)Also, how tall/big are you and how does the bag fit in comparison?

Just curious

reuben bolieu

@bearthedog76

I made mine around the nunatak dimensions of the Arc Ghost. Length was 70" Shoulder 46" Hip 44" Foot 34". Foot pocket goes up around 15".

I think these things work better offering two different sizes. Long would be closer to 76"

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

If you make a warmer version, count me in!

A warmer one would of course have two layers of insulation, but it would also have to be cut wider in the torso to accommodate wearing thicker layers to bed.

I'll be watching these forums keenly!

Brian

reuben bolieu

@bearthedog76

I just ordered more material and will be making some wider to test the weight. I may do a two layer quilt but not till it gets closer to fall.

mark henley

@flash582

Any Updates?

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

Any update? Have you considered making a double quilt (for 2 people)? I'd be interested.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools