Topic

Longer lasting alternative to Vivobarefoot Breatho? Traction a must.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Longer lasting alternative to Vivobarefoot Breatho? Traction a must.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Same. I have room for a 6th toe with my paddleboard feet. Midfoot is always tight, toe box is always roomy.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

You guys just need wide sizing then. Try anything in a EEEE and I'm guessing you'll be comfy. Unfortunately, not much exists in the minimal shoe space with wide overall widths. Other than New Balance's offerings, which are lacking. Chris W gave me a pair of MT00s in EEEE, which I found very comfy. Unfortunately, these are too minimal for heavy use IMHO, and the spaces between the foot cushioning pieces, are dangerous.

I have wide feet also, but the mid-foot feel doesn't affect my body the way the toebox does, as long as there isn't any arch. I've got very wide forefoot.

Altras for example are usable, but not ideal for me, since they focus the width on the inside of the forefoot, at the big toe area, which still compresses my little toe, which seems to be directly linked to my knee pain.

James Ayres

@scrivner

Locale: Southern Turkey

Javan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tired any Inov8 in a couple of years, but I will now. The last ones I tried had a two box like Jimmy Choo spikes. Merrills, yes, I don't know what's up with their arch thing, feels like foot binding.

I can understand how you would get knee pain from ill fitting shoes. During decades of running at least 30 miles a week, usually more, I never had a injury due to running, till I tried a pair of the latest wizz bang Nikes with heels like wedgies, and wound up with a stress fracture of a metatarsal and spinal problems. Took months to sort it out. Went back to flats, kung fu shoes, custom made moccasins, etc, no problems since.

I gotta say, the fir in these Vivos is the best, closest to the actual shape of my foot, that I've ever had in a 'running' shoe. But I will try those Inov8s. I hate it that these shoes are already falling apart and there doesn't seem to be any company support.

Cheers,

James

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Javan,

Could you compare the sole thickness and ground feel of the 235s compared to the Breathos? Can you also state if you had the insoles in or out of the Breathos?

Thanks,
    r

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I tried the Breathos with and without insoles, but I usually prefer not to use them, and I don't use them in the Trailrocs.

I'd say the 235s are a little thicker, but it's more of a dense (but flexible) foam material than the very hard dense rubber type material used on the Breathos.

Ground feel might be better on the Breathos without insoles, but both being heavily lugged negates the ground feel pretty significantly, however, the hardness of the sole material and the shape and stiffness of the lugs on the Breathos, to me, negated any useful perception of ground feel other than pain. On short (2-3 mile) hikes they seemed fine for the most part, but I never felt "comfortable" in them. I kept waiting for them to break in, when I finally did a longer hike (20ish miles) it was hellish.

The Trailrocs to me, were instantly comfortable. Keep in mind, I'm not a minimal shoe novice either. I grew up in Central America, was barefoot most of my child hood, wore flat soled skate type shoes through the rest of my younger years, and never had any problems until I got tricked into "performance" footwear. I needed no adjustment period to switch to VFFs, and found the original KSOs to be the most comfortable, so it's not like I'm not used to extremely minimal.

Currently I'm wearing Sodhopper Stealth Trackers as my day to day shoe, including in the shop, and wore Soft Star mocs primarily, before that. Used the original Altra Instincts last winter for the insulation, but destroyed them, and they were far from ideal. Hated the high stack height and *zero* ground feel.

If the Breathos work for you, I don't want to talk you out of them. Damien Tougas seemed to really like them, and I usually take his word for it. They just didn't work for me. I think it's probably related to the fact that my feet aren't adjusting from years of problematic footwear, and I'm used to what I'm used to.

I will add however, that I tried 4 different pairs in two different sizes, and every one had major fit differences. I think the QC over at TerraPlana isn't that high.

Like I said though, the original Aquas were some of my all time favorite shoes.

James Ayres

@scrivner

Does anyone have a phone number for Vivo?

I've received no response to my emails, but in spite of the lack of service and the poor durability of the Vivo shoes I have I would like to buy a pair of the Neo Trails. I've tried the Inov 8, Merrills and NB, and the Vivo fit is the most comfortable fit I've found in a shoe of this type.

I'll live with limited durability to get the fit. However, considering the lack of service I'd like to make sure there is actually a person there who will ship these shoes to me quickly – I'm about to leave the country. Can't find them in stock in LA, or online.

Thanks in advance.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Sorry, I have no phone number but….if you do make contact with them, it might serve us all well to mention that there are some unhappy customers out there. Good luck!

Also a note to Javon: Thanks for your imput/info.

James Ayres

@scrivner

Below is a copy of an email I sent to Vivo today. And yes, thanks again to Javon.

Dear Vivo Folks,

Is it possible to speak to a person at your company? I’ve been trying to order another pair of your shoes for days with no success. Your website ordering function doesn’t function. The local stores are out of stock. The coupon link you sent me doesn’t work. I’ve never received a response to my previous email regarding the first pair of Vivos I purchased.

I like your shoes very much, but am very frustrated by my attempts to buy more of them, and the lack of response from your company. So are many others in the very large running and outdoor community. You might like to see some of the comments in this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79628&disable_pagination=1

Best regards,

James Morgan Ayres

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools