Topic

Alcohol stoves and fire restriction in Sequia and Kings Canyon National Parks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Alcohol stoves and fire restriction in Sequia and Kings Canyon National Parks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

The Inyo response was on 7/5/13
    The Sierra NF response was on 7/8/13
    The third party Yosemite response was on 7/8/13

The dates don't mean much to me. It's the inconsistency and lack of clarity that is a bit bothersome. The wording from each jurisdiction varies. The term jellied petroleum stoves is commonly used. Turn off valves or able to turn off at a moments notice. I get the turn off valve but how do you interpret turning off at a moments notice? Anyone care to participate in a turn-of race? I'll use esbit, you use gas.

This same discussion came up last year.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66249

I'll be doing the same thing I did last year–ask when I pickup my permit. Thank the ranger and be on my way.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

SEKI is telling me that Esbit is legal and alcohol is not, because alcohol isn't pressurized or have an on/off switch. Well, the last time I checked, Esbit isn't pressurized or have any switch, either.

Hey, these feds are civil servants and can't be expected to be consistent.

These are your federal tax dollars at work.

–B.G.–

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Stage 2 fire restrictions went into effect in SEKI on July 1. On July 11 the park super said that Stage 2 fire restrictions ban alcohol stoves – no new rule was implemented. On July 5 (or July 8 in our case) the Wilderness Office sent email saying alcohol stoves are allowed under these restrictions. So, there is inconsistency w/in SEKI staff about what these restrictions mean. The Wilderness Office, not the Super's office, enforces the rules. So, I'm going with their interpretation.

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Locale: So Cal.

Interesting individual responses.

I have a variety of stoves and they each excel in a variety of ways. It seems like I'm not alone in my "collecting" of backpacking gear so I'm confused by the "outrage" about not being able to use an alcohol stove. Is it the only stove you have? I doubt it. Use you pocket rocket or whatever UL stove you have and get out there. Isn't being out there the point?

Being a "rule follower" by nature, I can see that some of the responders just don't like to hear the word, "No." I'm sorry that you are so upset by that disappointment. Get over it. This is a .01 on a scale of 10 compared to the things that impact our public lands.

For every responsible outdoorsman (person) there has to be 100,000 idiots and as many just plain inexperienced, non-common sense visitors that COULD set the place on fire. It's not a big deal to be flexible in your plans to include a different stove in the same way you don't use the same sleeping system year round.

Bob

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Isn't there a rule that says you have to have a bucket of water and a shovel if you have a campfire?

Has anyone ever broken that rule?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Has anyone ever broken that rule?"

I think everyone on this forum has broken that rule.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

As I've said before, during fire bans white gas stoves are allowed and they are FAR from idiot proof. An esbit stove is much safer IMHO. If you pick a bad location and kick over any stove you can start a fire.

That being said, when there's a fire ban, I take a Pocket Rocket. And try not to kick it over in the grass I've placed it in. :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"SEKI is telling me that Esbit is legal and alcohol is not, because alcohol isn't pressurized or have an on/off switch. Well, the last time I checked, Esbit isn't pressurized or have any switch, either.

Hey, these feds are civil servants and can't be expected to be consistent.

These are your federal tax dollars at work."

"The dates don't mean much to me. It's the inconsistency and lack of clarity that is a bit bothersome. The wording from each jurisdiction varies. The term jellied petroleum stoves is commonly used. Turn off valves or able to turn off at a moments notice. I get the turn off valve but how do you interpret turning off at a moments notice? Anyone care to participate in a turn-of race? I'll use esbit, you use gas."

This thread is telling me to use whatever stove I want and not worry about it. Be careful with whatever you use. I'll accept the remote chance that a ranger walks up to my camp at night, miles from any trailhead, camped away from an established camp area, and is actually concerned about the tiny stove I'm using.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools