Topic

Annotating Maps on Water/Tear Resistant Paper (pen, pencil, markers????)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Annotating Maps on Water/Tear Resistant Paper (pen, pencil, markers????)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

I was just wondering if anyone has any good solutions for annotating a water/tear proof map so that your markings don't rub off. So far the only thing I have found to be sufficient has been a sharpie. I was just wondering if anyone has found anything to work better.

Best,

Brad

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, use an electronic map in your computer, and make all of your customizations and marks within the electronic file. Then print it out on a wide carriage printer.

–B.G.–

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I have had no issues with a fine tipped Sharpie on the Nat Geo adventure paper. I usually find myself putting mile markers and other points of interest on after I have printed it.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I use a good quality colored pencil like a Prismacolor. Doesn't smudge, and with the right eraser, the marks are removeable.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 with Mark

laughing at Bob. Real helpful in the field there Bob.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

These work on laminated maps and should work on wp paper as well.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/Alcohol-Markers-4-Pack-P35.aspx

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

There are now mini sharpies, some on a keychain. Smaller. Lighter.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"laughing at Bob. Real helpful in the field there Bob."

Ken, it is not a joke.

Most of the rest of us prepare our maps and such at home before we leave on the trip.

I've experimented with several high-quality papers that work.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'll bite Bob. What would you use to annotate maps in the field? Printed on that plastic type non paper.

I do my own maps at home before I go. But you do find discrepancies or things of interest that you want to mark down on the map itself.

You first reply did not answer the OP's question either.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The first step is getting the map in electronic format so that you can work with it on a home computer. The second step is electronically marking up the map to highlight the trail, mark elevations, or whatever. The third step is to print the map at home, and this requires a wide-carriage color printer and the right paper. There are all sorts of high-quality papers with different degrees of waterproofness. Most of the waterproofness is not in the paper itself, but it is in the resin coating on one side of the paper. There are color laser printers, inkjet printers, and even commercial printers if you don't own one yourself. Additionally, I have rugged tear-proof papers. So, the custom map gets printed at home and carried on the trip. During the trip, if I find extra things to remember, I write them with an ordinary mechanical pencil directly onto the map. If it is something like a dot, I just mark it directly in the right place. Then, if there is additional text, I write it into the nearest blank margin of the map to explain what the dot is about.

So, the only marker necessary to carry is a mechanical pencil.

When I return home, I can add my markups to the original electronic map file.

Most of my inkjet-printed maps are waterproof enough that I can cram them into a bucket of water, leave them overnight, then dry them out and the ink has not degraded. That seems sufficient to me.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Short answer is…mechanical pencil.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yes, you might be able to do it with an ordinary pencil, but the point of a mechanical pencil is much finer and they are self-sharpening. You can buy leads for these mechanical pencils of different hardness, so I recommend a rather soft lead.

When I carry such a mechanical pencil on the trail, I've learned not to carry it in my shirt pocket, because it will get dropped and lost.

OTOH, if you are not a computerized person, then maybe you don't want to have a wide-carriage color printer sitting around the house. Mine is a pig, but it gets excellent results.

–B.G.–

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

There used to be a viral story about the U.S. Space program devoting thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a pressurized ink cartridge for the "space pen" that would allow astronauts to write in zero gravity.

The Russian cosmonauts brought a pencil.

Do note, the Palomino Blackwing 602 is the only acceptable writing instrument.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I can validate that a Blackwing 602 will write on a National Geographic Waterproof Map Paper Sheet (8.5" X 14" legal size) without smudging. Also the eraser works fairly well.

I cannot guarantee it will work on a trail other than the JMT.

On a serious note. I just print a freak'n map(s) of where I am going. I don't need (or know how) to add computer generated notes, way-pointy thingies, or computer hieroglyphics. Never found the need for them anyway.

However I do occasionally make notations on my maps. Such things as the date and time I stopped somewhere, condition of water sources, etc. But I rarely bring a writing utensil, which is why I asked the JMT pencil question a few months ago.

If printed on one side, you could make a "Need Ride" sign on the back for hitch-hiking back to your car.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"The Russian cosmonauts brought a pencil."

And SCUBA divers taking notes while underwater? Of course it isn't normal paper, rather waterproof paper or certain plastics. But the writing implement? A #2 pencil. And if they make a mistake? The eraser works underwater, too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If you have a hard time finding waterproof paper or the cost of it, then there is an alternative. You can print on premium matte inkjet paper, let it dry well, and then put it into a super thin clear plastic produce bag. On the opening, fold it over and seal it with tape. That takes care of the waterproof problem. If you intend to write on it, then you will have to peel up the tape, write on the map, and then re-seal the tape. Crude, but effective.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

8.5 x 11 inch paper fits into gallon ziploc bag

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"8.5 x 11 inch paper fits into gallon ziploc bag"

As does 22 X 27 inch paper :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

as does origami piece made from huge piece of paper : )

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bob Gross wrote:
    >> The first step is getting the map in electronic format so that you can work with it on a home computer. The second step is electronically marking up the map to highlight the trail, mark elevations, or whatever.

What software are you using to manipulate the map?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

(Ancient 2003) National Geographic TOPO! version 2.7.7.

–B.G.–

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools