Topic

I’m just so excited…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I’m just so excited…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

The job is winding down…my last day is July 26. I leave for the JMT July 27.
    I am super happy with my kit, still need to finish my food!, dog has a sitter, condo is up for sale.

My new job is one that will allow me to take months off at a time and to explore different parts of the country. I'm choosing less stuff, less money for a life of mindfulness and serenity. With a healthy dose of gear addiction and hiker trashiness, of course.

I can't wait :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

So what happens if someone makes offer on condo and you're unavailable on trail?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

What's the new job? Did I miss that post? Anyway, congratulations! So nice to hear when someone is on the verge of an exciting new time in their life.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

Sounds like the opportunity of a life time. Congratulations!!

David Ure

@familyguy

Darn, I am pretty sure Doug was looking for a Suga Mama too.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Have fun! I'm leaving for the Sierra High Route on the 29th which follows the JMT in some places.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Congratulations and happy hiking!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

and you just can't hide it….:)

I'm sure you're going to have a blast.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Really happy for you Jennifer. I hope you have a blast with the new direction you have chosen.

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Darn, I am pretty sure Doug was looking for a Suga Mama too."

Sure, but I'm not so sure she's all that sweet……. :-)

Congrats Jen! Can't wait to read about your adventures.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice one Jen,

Hopefully we will see you for a trip out west some time :-)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Have fun Jen, you'll love it.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

I haven't been this excited in such a long time…

I am taking advantage of a great perk of being a health care worker: travel PT. They are 13-week contracts that pay ridiculous sums of money. You can work a few contracts wherever you want, don't work a few, work a few…you get my drift. I'll spend a few months in Austin with my brother chillaxing and getting ready for the PCT! Then ill find a cool spot in the west to settle with the Chuckster. PNW? Northern CA? Who knows…someplace chill and pretty…

I know it sounds kinda corny, but you guys have been such a cool group to learn from…I can honestly say if I hadn't found BPL I'd never feel comfortable taking the leap. So thanks so much for all the encouragement. Even you, Doug. Sorry about the sugar momma thing…maybe it will work out later…..

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Jen,

Please don't cry as it will up your skin out weight :-)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Then ill find a cool spot in the west to settle with the Chuckster. PNW? Northern CA? Who knows…someplace chill and pretty…"

The north bay (marin, napa, sonoma counties) is hella chill. Perfect weather, close enough to the bay area for good employment, rural enough that you can live in the country, lots of places to hike, and close enough to the Sierras.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Sorry about the sugar momma thing…maybe it will work out later….."

You're such a tease…..

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What else can I say? Enjoy the journey.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Jennifer: Thanks for all your enthusiasm, thoughtful questions, and inspirational plans on BPL. I've got a friend in Kenai, a middle-aged woman who for years did locums gigs as a Physician's Assistant. 2-weeks-on/2-weeks-off on the North Slope, a month on a salmon tender at sea, 3 months at NOAA research station, etc. As a PT, you're limited to somewhat bigger venues, but still, there are remote settings and villages where the local PT needs relief for a vacation or maternity leave and other places that might support a visiting PT rotating between other small settings.

>"So what happens if someone makes offer on condo and you're unavailable on trail?"

Execute a "Power of Attorney" (for Real Estate Transactions if you wish to limit it) and have it notarized. Then your friend/sister/parents ARE you, legally, for accepting offers, countering, going into escrow, signing over the deed, etc. We did that because we took 2 months maternity leave in Europe just as a home loan was coming through. Just had the office manager sign the paperwork. I've also done it for vehicle transactions.

Enjoy your adventure!!!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Already did the POA thing…so no worries there! And David, one of the companies I'm contracting with apparently has a posting at the South Pole. Oh yeah baby!!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

South Pole Support Services , Denver.

Trail Support Services – Right Here!

It's a rowdy bunch but always on stand-by, always ready to ship, and always ready help.

Good Luck.
    Have Fun.
    Take Care.

Space Q. Monkey

@cavria6

Locale: Southern California

Just wanted to say congratulations! I am finishing up work on the 26 th too and heading out for the Sierras and Alaska shortly after. No job plan but blue skies ahead. I too am Super excited!!! Good luck and very happy trails to you!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools