Topic

Hoover wilderness/Eastern Emigrant Ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hoover wilderness/Eastern Emigrant Ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some route advice. I'm planning a mid-August, 3 day, ~30 mile trip to Emigrant and/or Hoover wilderness. Ideally, the plan would be to drive over from the south bay on a Thursday night, stay at an organized camp site (or near the trail head), hit the trail Friday morning, and return to the trail head Sunday afternoon.

Seems like the logical points of entry would be Kennedy Meadows, Sonora Pass, the Leavitt jeep trail head, or Leavitt Meadows.
    Regarding Leavitt Jeep trail head, we do not have a vehicle which could actually take us to Leavitt lake–we'd need to walk from the trail head at 108 (assuming that we can park there). Regarding Leavitt Meadows, there is a desire to avoid a potentially difficult crossing at West Walker River (although it seems that the river should be low this year; I also heard that there are "log crossings," but I don't know much about them.

Aside from beautiful scenery, considerations include minimal mosquito issues on the one hand, easy access to water on the other hand. Also looking for some place quiet–without tons of people or pack mules. It would also be necessary for the trip to be a loop (i.e., no shuttles, hitchhking, etc).

Some sample trips which seemed interesting include:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79131

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/destinations/our-favorite-hikes-of-all-time
    (HOOVER WILDERNESS: Leavitt Meadows and the West Walker River)

From Kennedy meadows there are a couple of loops out to Emigrant Lake via Lunch Meadow and back as well

Any additional thoughts from those in the know?

Thanks very much

rhz.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

This is our stomping grounds.

Here are a few options:

1. Kennedy Meadows up Summit Creek and then cross country to Ridge and Iceland lakes.

2. Leavitt Meadows up the river to Fremont, then Cinko Lake.

3. Crabtree Cabin in to Deer Lake, then down to Woods Lake and out.

We have trip reports on all of these on our website, under the destinations for 108.

PM me if you want more info

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

A few weeks ago I did a 2 night/ 3 day trip out of Hoover that basically looked like this: Twin Lakes TH ->Little Slide Canyon ->Mule Pass ->Peeler Lake and then out. It was awesome. When you get up Little Slide Canyon its just plain awesome.(x-ctry, sort of, there's a non-maintained use trail climbers use to get to a giant outcrop they call The Incredible Hulk but no trail after, just lots of talus and boulders and then a gorgeous meadow). A ranger there described it to me as "the little himalayas", seems appropriate.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One day, hike from Leavitt Meadow on 108 to Tower Lake. Second day, bag Tower Peak. Third day, return to the highway.

It seems like if you stay on-route and do it right, the peak is only about Class 2.

–B.G.–

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have the opportunity to go this coming weekend (July 18-21) or put things off until mid-August. On the one hand, we'd obviously like to avoid mosquitoes. But, on the other hand, we want to make sure that there will be adequate opportunities to find water–some of the distances between obvious water sources (like lakes) are large, and I'm wondering if the creeks will be dry by mid-August making water availability an issue.

Any inputs?

Thanks again,

rhz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools