Topic

What happened to all the UL trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What happened to all the UL trekking poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Why are Ruta Locura, Gossamer Gear, and Locus Gear perpetually out of their adjustable carbon fiber trekking poles? Are there any other suppliers?

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Super light and have had no problems over 500 miles so far. Great craftsmanship.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

They are all facing supply issues of the parts that they use IIRC. GG and LG are also undergoing redesigns of their locking systems – so they are doing R&D plus parts sourcing and revamping up their product manufacturing. RL is usually always "out of stock" because he seems to make them on an on-order basis, so contact him and he will likely make you one (and at this time is the only place you could probably get a cottage ul hiking pole). I do not know of any other cottage companies that make carbon fiber hiking poles.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It might be worth remembering that some of the majors also do CF trekking poles. We reviewed the Easton 3-section UL Carbon 3 trekking poles at
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/easton_carbon3_poles_review.html

Note: many of the cottage UL poles are either 2-section, so they don't fit in a pack for air travel, or the handles are not all that good (personal opinion based on my own experience). The Easton pole has a good handle and collapses to fit inside a pack – but it is not really 'UL'. Light, yes.

Cheers

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I think Rock West Composites has UL trekking poles

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I ordered a pair of RL 3 piece poles about 2 weeks ago. Arrived yesterday. I am unsure the volume he is able to do.

I am amazed at how stiff they are for the weight.

DW

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I ordered a pair of RL 3 piece poles about 2 weeks ago. Arrived yesterday. I am unsure the volume he is able to do.

I am amazed at how stiff they are for the weight.

I had a very similar experience. I ordered them back in April and they showed up about 10 days later. Great customer service. and awesome poles

Jeff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools