Topic

Umbrellas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Umbrellas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I've searched and found some old threads on umbrellas. I'm interested in hearing the latest on which makes/models people use. This would mostly be for travel, but I'm also considering whether an umbrella is a suitable substitute for rain gear on the JMT. Thank you.

Snow Peak 4.7 oz

Birdiepal Swing Liteflex 8 oz

Go Lite 8 oz

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

In my experience it's not a suitable replacement for rain gear in a windy rain storm. If you don't mind setting up a shelter and waiting out really bad weather, then I think it would work for you.

It will also protect you from the sun. On a hot day it's really nice to pull out the umbrella during breaks and cool down a bit. There is often very little or no shade at high elevations.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I'm a fan. Nothing fancy, I have the silver Golite, but it's nice to have when the weather is lots of sun and unlikely rain. Good to seal up a poncho or tarp shelter with too. That said, mine gets more use around town and on day hikes than when miles are getting counted.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Sun: I find the effective temperature is about 10-15F lower when I'm using an umbrella, especially at elevation where the sun is more intense.

Rain: It's not so good in super gusty conditions, of course, but in vertical rain, I like the vastly better vision and ventilation of an umbrella compared to a parka hood. Especially because I wear glasses.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

The Raines Skinny Mini is another option, weighs 5.3 oz and costs under $10. I carry it in the local mountains when only light rain is expected. I wouldn't want it as my sole rain gear, especially if conditions could become harsh. I've been in a few storms where I would not have wanted an umbrella as my only protection.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Have a look at the range available from the manufacturer of Birdiepal Euroschirm in Germany;

http://www.euroschirm.com/trekking.php?session=bnZy2EYc7hGT4&sprache_land=usa

There's some amusing demonstration videos of a hapless German backpacker in there, poor sucker gets a hammering.

I tried carrying a brolly, even put a Golite Chrome dome on a treking pole, trouble is I kept leaving them behind in a forest/on a mountain top somewhere, still feeling the loss, even now.

Get a good hat with a wide brim for your mossie net, and a waterproof jacket with a full zip for venting. You won't forget them and you'll not notice them/have to fumble around accomodating their presence. Multipurpose and lighter too.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Video

YouTube video

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have been using a Golite Chorme Dome umbrella lately and find it suitable for just about anything above 45F but I do employ a little trick. When it gets very windy with the rain, I stop under a stand of trees or bushes and eat an early meal or take a nap. The umbrella paired with my windshirt and trash bag rainskirt pretty much lets me do what I need to do and if i need to I can take out me trash bag pack liner and use that over the windshirt. But then again I don't go into high alpine terrain.

And quick question about the youtube vid, why is the guy using an umbrella but still wearing his heavy rain jacket at the same time? Seem redundant and very warm.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

I've been using the Mont Bell UL Trekking Umbrella. I think it is amazing and well worth the ounces. We pack a lot in high alpine conditions with inclement, sudden weather shifts. It CAN be a little tricky if you carry trekking poles but with a little imagination you can find a way to attach it to your pack so you can use it hands-free. If you poke around the forums you can find some threads that talking about umbrellas extensively. I personally just tuck it under my sternum strap.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1128311

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks for the comments.

Has anyone tried the "handsfree" attachment for Birdiepal Euroschirm umbrella?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Or, has anyone come up with a handsfree method that they like that steadies the GoLite umbrella?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Not hands-free but I bungie the umbrella to my trekking pole so I end up with a wide variety of places to put my hand. So I don't get tired holding the umbrella one way. Can even have my arm down at my side.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I listened to the Trail Show Podcast and Disco said the GoLite Umbrella's are manufactured by euroshcirm and half the cost.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools