Topic

UrSack okayed by Inyo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UrSack okayed by Inyo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I just got off the phone with Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Office.

They confirmed that it is legal to use an UrSack

Bill D

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have an Ursack, For those using it Bear country, I would plan to use the Aluminum liner insert with it.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I have an Ursak with Aluminum liner which I have barely used because it was not approved where I went.
    I have always been a bit questioning about the wisdom of that liner.
    1. it adds weight
    2. my food can still get crushed
    3. the sharp edges seemed like they would actually help the bear tear thru the fabric if he was persistant enough

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

My understanding is one of the key points of the liner is it makes it hard for the Bear to grab it by making the material around it tight. Kinda of like a football player wearing a tight jersey so they are more difficult to grab/tackle.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I find the insert causes wear areas on the bag and is next to impossible if not impossible to get that last little bit of opening closed up to prevent mice from entry. I have the older version of the green, Kevlar bag. I guess its good I have hung onto it. I think it weighs around 20-21 oz. with the insert. Using just the bag in another week in Desolation, just for fun.
    Duane

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Does this mean anything for the rest of california?

Sorry I have no clue how bear resistant container testing works… I was under the impression that only a couple agencies did testing for most all of california's national forest where bear cans are required.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I imagine they throw a huge freaking steak in the bag and give it to a Grizzly in a zoo.

I'm serious actually.. I was reading on the Ursack site that they did that :)

Probably a good idea to give the bear the steak at the end just so that you're not cruel.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I don't think cutting it will be practical. It's spectra… not going to cut easily.

I don't carry the aluminum liner. I have a fishing rod… if a bear destroys my food I'll just eat fish until I hike out.

I actually did this for a day a few years back when I underpacked food :)

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The most current news on the Ursack website is June 5th.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Does this mean anything for the rest of california?"

Nope.

"I was under the impression that only a couple agencies did testing for most all of california's national forest where bear cans are required"

Only one, Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, now disbanded to avoid law suits.

The Grizzly Discover Center does testing for bear containers in general, not specifically for California.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools