Topic

Adding an inner to a poncho+trekking poles combination?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adding an inner to a poncho+trekking poles combination?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

In my backpack there always is a poncho-tarp and 2 trekking poles, and with them I could build an A-frame shelter:

Poncho shelter

I'd like to add an "inner tent" to transform it in a nearly two-wall tent.

Are there some producer that produces some "generic" inner tent?

It should be something like this:

Inner

But, as poncho-tarp is not really big, I think it should be water-proof also on the 4 sides, and breathable only on the top.

No need it to be super-light (I'd prefer it to be super-cheap ;-) ), I simply don't want to carry a full tent when I already have poncho+poles that could be double-used as part of a tent system…

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

[sigh] "Super-cheap" eliminated all of my suggestions…

You can get an inner bug shelter from people like Mountain Laurel Designs. I used theirs with a tarp last summer for 5 days in the Rockies, and it worked fine, but it's not waterproof all around. Perhaps you could complement a bug shelter with a light bivy, or just use a bivy alone?

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

Well, tell me also the "non-super-cheap"… Now I'm curious ;-)

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Give BearPaw Wilderness Designs a call. I know he does custom work. Take a look at the Net Tents or the Minimalist.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

I didn't know them…but they do really nice custom-built products!

Yes, my idea was something like extended "Minimalist 1" with front and back silnylon protections (perhaps with some modification to fit my poncho size)

Happy to know that adding 10oz to what already is in my backpack I could have a nice surrogate of a double-wall tent… ;-)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You could also give a homemade option a try. Just completed a mid style tarp and net inner and I really enjoyed doing it. With your setup it would be quite easy and netting and silnylon is cheap. All that you need is a sewing machine, great starter project.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

What is your goal with the inner tent?

Protect yourself from mosquitos?

Stop wind-born rain coming in from the sides?

Your existing tarp set-up looks pretty good for reducing radiant heat losses off the top of your sleeping bad and thereby reducing dew/frost condensing on top of your sleeping bag .

If it is for bugs only, stitching four ties onto your existing tarp could give you the attach points for a simple, coffin-sized, 5-sided box of mosquito netting

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

@David Thomas: where I hike weather can be rainy and windy, I want to protect myself from mosquitos AND stop wind-born rain coming in from the sides

@Don
    Selesky: Also Serenity Shelter from MLD, with all-silnylon front+back, could nearly be a solution… only need some more protection on the side (not much more…5-10 inch)

@Hiking
    Malto: MYOG (or "get your mother make your own gear" ;-) ) would be the best solution, as what I've in mind isn't so complex… I only thought I wasn't the first to search a "generic" poncho-tarp inner.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you want to stop wind born rain from blowing in under edges of tarp, maybe you need a tarp whose edges go down close to ground

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

+1 to Jerry's post.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"@Don Selesky: Also Serenity Shelter from MLD, with all-silnylon front+back, could nearly be a solution… only need some more protection on the side (not much more…5-10 inch)"

Yes, the Serenity Shelter was what I used last summer. Luckily I didn't need to deal with driving rain, but I had my tarp set up low enough, in a sheltered area, that it probably wouldn't have really been an issue anyway. With the tarp staked low, the inner really isn't that exposed (assuming you have a reasonably sized tarp).

If you want even more protection against wind-blown rain, you might want to go with their Superlight Bivy. The current one runs +/- 7 ounces in Silnylon, and breathes pretty well. Plus, it adds extra warmth.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

@Jerry and @Jeffrey: yes, a larger tarp is obviously a solution, but the original question is: "can I add an inner to my (not so big) poncho-tarp and get a water-proof enough shelter?"
    Changing the poncho-tarp would obviously solve the problem, but not the way I wanted ;-)

Probably the simpler "market-ready" solution is to add a bivvy…and using poncho-tarp mainly to protect face, backpack and boots; with perhaps a small net for protecting face from mosquitos.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

Looking at your original picture of your poncho/tarp pitched over your pad and bag, it looks like the tarp is pitched fairly high. The lower it's pitched the more weather resistant it would be.

Also, what are the dimensions of the tarp? How much smaller is it than a "full" tarp? Depending on pitch, it may be adequate to keep you dry.

Also also, the MLD bivy comes with a mesh section over the face,so a headnet might not be necessary while in the bivy.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

My poncho is not the one in the photo (it was only a sample image…); mine is cm 265 x 145 (104 x 57 inch); long enough, but a little narrow. :-|

I usually need to pitch really low to get some weather protection, an inner with waterproof sides would permit me to pitch it higher…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

But if your premise is to have a very light poncho tarp, but want an inner with water-proof side, maybe that premise is invalid.

Just take the waterproof part of the inner and stick it on the poncho tarp to make it bigger, and it will work better

If there's only a little rain/wind, then maybe just the poncho tarp is good. Or if you are expert at setting it up in sheltered location and/or don't mind getting a little wet.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

The premise is I ALREADY HAVE a poncho-tarp in my backpack, that dies his work.
    It isn't small to be super-light, it is small because it has the right size to be a good poncho ;-)

I hope someday some producer will consider developing a simple "inner" suitable for coupling with a "generic" poncho, IMHO it would be useful for lot of people (like boy scout and so on)

Or perhaps I would be the only customer ;-)

BTW, thanks to all the suggestions I've received! :-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Adding an inner takes away from simiplicty of poncho tarp, if you need more protection easier to just use bigger tarp. If you ALREADY HAVE poncho tarp in backpack, REMOVE IT AND REPLACE with tarp more suited to conditions.

Sorry, just giving you a hard time. What you're saying makes sense. Just putting out another solution that may be more applicable in some conditions ;-)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I think someone on here made a large bivy that they could prop the head end up with their opened umbrella. I am thinking of doing something similar using my umbrella and a sheet of bug netting but have not perfected it yet. I don't like bivies because I am tall and side sleep so they usually do not work but it would be nice if they did. They usually don't work as part of the netting issue because the netting is not supported away from the body so bugs can't bite through.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools