Topic

lightest weight, lowest stretch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping lightest weight, lowest stretch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I have two hammocks, both made of 1.1 nylon ripstop or thereabouts. Very light, but I'm not liking the stretch too much. Is there a lower stretch material of a similar weight (not cuben)?

Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There aren't many other options that are going to give you the strength, durability, etc. as 1.1 ripstop for the same weight. Doubling up – or going with a 1.7 or 1.9 will certainly reduce the stretch but at an obvious weight penalty.

Is there a reason you don't like the slight stretch? I personally find it cradles me in the hammock a bit more comfortably.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Some folks have had good luck with polyester, although it's tough to find in that low weight.

Ryan

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

It feels more than "slight" to me. I'm 170 lbs, so not svelte, but not pushing the weight limit either. I haven't tried heavier fabrics at all and am wondering how comfortable they might be.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

I found these last night: http://www.dplightweightbackpackinggear.com/dp-bedroom.html

The single layer claimed weight is <6 oz with low/no stretch. I wonder if it is spinnaker? It does say it is noisy when new. No, vendor claims otherwise on HF: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=512709&postcount=8

It claims to be waterproof though, which means it probably acts as a vapor barrier, or close to it as well.

Reading more on spinnaker, it seems like just a type of nylon? I'm unclear whether it would stretch much or not.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

spelt!, I would research this vendor (and his outlandish performance claims) on HF a bit more if I were you, before committing to buying. Just my two cents.

Matt

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a double 1.1 layer hammock which does not stretch from what I can tell. I also have a Grand Trunk Nano 7 which I think stretches way too much. I've recently bought some 1.6oz/sqyd (40d) ripstop from DIY Gear Supply and plan on making a simple gathered end hammock with that material. Most of the cottage vendors only have 1.1 and 1.9 so I saw this as a reasonable compromise. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what the results are.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Thanks, Matthew. I haven't made any rash decisions. Just constantly looking to improve my sleep. :)

Eric, any update on your project? I've been experimenting with a longer ridgeline to decrease the initial amount of sag. It's an improvement but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

mark henley

@flash582

I'm 240 and just got back from using a DIY 1.6 oz gathered end on a week long AT section hike ….. Loved it.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Try a double 1.1.
    Thats the only thing that works for me but I have been thinking about trying a double M50.
    A few guys over on the hammock forum were trying double M50 hammocks last year but not sure what the consensus was.

Chris Valery
    BPL Member

@fortran42

Locale: Western North Carolina

I've made a double 1.1, single 1.1 and a single 1.9oz. The Best of the three is the 1.9oz single..least amount of stretch and Most comfortable by far…the single 1.1oz had more stretch than a plastic grocery bag! The less stretch fabric will give you a flatter lay and far more comfort. Enjoy

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

I have never understood the point of a double to be honest. When I use a pad I just sleep right on it and it stays in place okay. A DL 1.1 is the weight equivalent of a SL 2.2, presumably without the lower stretch benefit you'd get from a higher weight fabric. What is the advantage?

I might end up with a heavier fabric and just make it smaller. I'm short so I can get away with that, up to a point.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think there is some advantage to a DL in keeping the pad in place while getting in and easier tweaking, but once it is in the right place, I never had a problem with any significant shifting. I don't like how pads feel in comparison to insulation under the hammock, but there's no denying that a CCF pad is the lightest form of insulation.

I like to use an undercover with an open cell pad from a Hennessy SuperShelter system along with a Space Blanket for my bottom insulation. The undercover can be any wind and water resistant fabric and only needs to hold up its own weight. The total weight is greater than a CCF pad, but gives more wind and rain protection and you get dear air space under your head and feet. You could stuff clothing in there too. I have an undercover that can double as a poncho to get some multiple use weight savings.

If you are shorter, consider making the hammock narrower as well as shorter. You sleep on a diagonal, so you don't need the extra width. If you take say, 4" off the width, that is removing fabric from the full length if the hammock and more like taking 8" off the length. A scale drawing and comparing your height should give you an idea of how much to reduce the dimensions.

I've always been puzzled by the weight ratings on hammocks. A Grand Trunk Ultralight is made from polyester taffeta while my Hennessy Explorer is made of 210D nylon, yet both are rated for 250 pounds by the manufacturers. BIAS rates their 1.1oz fabric hammock at 225 pounds and Warbonnet gives the 1.1 Traveler model a 200 pound rating. Of course the suspension has to be up to the task. Note on the Warbonnet Traveler species that adding another layer adds 7oz, so the difference isn't huge.

The point here is that there must be a heathy fudge factor in weights and a smaller person has more leeway with fabrics, with attention to the stretch issues. You can use a slightly smaller tarp too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools