Topic

Getting Fish to camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Getting Fish to camp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

New to back country fishing and I am trying to figure out the best way to get fish from the stream to camp for cooking. What does everyone else use?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nothing fancy, just a gallon ziplock bag. If it's hot out or it'll be awhile til I get to camp I partially fill it with cold water and tuck it under some insulation in my pack.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Brilliant! One of those head slaper ideas. Going back up to Trinity Alps in a few weeks and will give that a try.

Kerry Wilson

@mntnflyr4fun

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland

I'm in the zip lock camp, if I have a bit of a hike I line the bag with dampened grasses

If I'm close in, I just use a forked stick which I can keep in the water till I start for camp. (old school I know, please save the lectures on killing the grass and brush)

Gregg Lenart
    BPL Member

@mudwalker68

One thing my backpacking buddies and I do is just pack our cooking gear to the lake or stream and enjoy dinner there. Having had bears near our campsites before we decided the further our cooking/eating area was the better. Plus we all usually met at one end of the lake for bragging rights. And of course no matter where we are we exercise caution when filleting and cooking these delights. Great idea with the baggie and cold water!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools