Topic

Anybody not Seam Seal their silnylon shelters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody not Seam Seal their silnylon shelters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Anybody not Seam Seal their silnylon shelters?

I guess I'm partially asking out of laziness and also not wanting to make a mess of my new Oware mid.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

me.

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

Hmmm, I guess I didn't know that NOT seam sealing cottage sil shelters was an option.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I'm far less worried about flat-felled seams. They're pretty good about keeping the water out. Though, I've seen a few small leaks in persistent rain, but nothing that couldn't be managed.

It's the overlap or single seams (like the TarpTent Rainbow ridgeline–I think I named those seams right) that have leaked profusely without sealing for me. And that was just with a water sprinkler.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I cant say for sure that yours would leak or not, but I can say from experience that its no fun getting out of a tent in a thunderstorm and fashioning a rainfly out of a Space Blanket because your tent is leaking on you through a seam.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I have three DIY silnylon tarp/tarptents, one of them isn't seam sealed. I've been through a few long rainy nights in it and had no leaks. It's a simple ridgeline tarp, made with a felled seam.

That said, it's really pretty simple to seam seal a shelter. I use an "acid brush" from plumbing supplies and thin the sealant enough so that it's still thick but "brushable." I'm not particularly careful and manage not to "make a mess".
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Acid-Brushes-3-Pack-3071020/100204365

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I did it. Henry's Tarptent method, went to Lowes this morning, GE Silicone II and some pain thinner. A cold front has swept thru North Texas and the temps have been in the high 80's for the last few days. I sealed my Oware mid inside and out.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've used a tent flys similar to the one shown in my avatar for about 35 years. I've never seam sealed any of them and leakage has not been a problem.

I think the design of a tent makes a difference. Steep sloping rain flys and flat felled seams can obviate the need for seam sealing.

Other designs and seams need seam sealing.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

A few drops will never hurt anyone imo.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

Where are you in the metroplex Christopher? I'm located up NE of McKinney.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I have a couple of hammock flys from Warbonnet Outdoors and he says there is no need to seal the ridge line. So there are definitely times and seams that don't need to be sealed as others have said.
    Thanks,
    James

David Ure

@familyguy

"A few drops will never hurt anyone imo."

Uh, well I guess you have never backpacked in the winter on Vancouver Island then.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I never seal my DIY tents

Pyramid so they have steep walls. Flat felled seams. I have used them in lots of rain in PNW. I camp in winter. Cheap silnylon that's not very waterproof.

Occasionally, in heavy rain, I'll feel a little "misting" which is enough to feel on skin but not enough to get things wet. I could seal with 10 or 20:1 mineral spirits:silicone, but I'm too lazy for not enough gain.

I have a couple velcro strips to hold open door. When I don't seal these, water will leak through and drip onto whatever's below, so I seal thos spots.

David Ure

@familyguy

Not seam sealing is for the lazy folk.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I'm pretty lazy

and proud of it

especially about tasks that produce no benefit : )

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Seam sealing.I believe it makes the seams and pull outs stronger. I believe it helps if a thread gets cut or a stitch is not locked not to have the seam come apart as fast if at all it kinda locks the stitch Its really a fast and easy thing to do once you get the hang of it. I'm a believer in silicone and mineral spirits and small foam brushes. I believe in thread drift if its meant to be helpful. From the book of Mark "The man who seals his seams has no fears as the storm rolls in in the mountains" Hallelujah

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

When Mark wrote about storms rolling in to the mountains was he specifically referring to the mountains or did that also apply to hills or say bumps on the ground that are not as big as hills but not all that flat either ?

YouTube video

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"Not seam sealing is for the lazy folk."

I guess that makes Jerry the first lazy MYOG'er. :)

Mike Allen

@michaellea62

Locale: UTAH

I have two Hilleberg tents and have never seam sealed either of them. I believe their web site states that seam sealing is not required. Frankly that was a little of the reason I purchased from Hilleberg. I have always wondered why their tents don't have to be seam sealed but most others do.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I guess that makes Jerry the first lazy MYOG'er. :)"

LOL

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I normally don't seam seal my tarps. I made recently 2 tarps from "shield" sillnylon and the ridge seams leaked badly. I like the fabric so will stop being lazy and seal them but this hasn't been my typical experience.

-Tim

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I did seam seal my Tarp Tent scarp and it never leaked but I did a really messy job, it looked like a dog did it.

I have yet to do my Stratosphire 1, I must get off my ass and do it the fancy way with diluted mineral spirits. I bought my Trailstar used and the guy who sealed it must be the neatest person on the planet as it looks perfect.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

you can use masking tape to make it neat

but why bother?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Good idea.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I have several Golite shelters (Hex 3, SL2, SL4) and I've never seam sealed them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools