Topic

Trail Breve Latte (Coffee with cream) Success!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Trail Breve Latte (Coffee with cream) Success!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I like half and half in my coffee; my wife only drinks lattes.  We also avoid the chemistry set that comprise artificial creamers.

Every attempt to use powdered milk has ended up with disgusting lumps.  Especially organic or whole powdered milks.  

Until today.  I made a passable latte with dehydrated ingredients!

Ingredients:
    1 TB Ghee (Pure Indian Foods organic, grass fed clarified butter)
    4 TB Nonfat dry milk. (Organic Valley)
    1 packet Starbucks Via
    Hot water

Used alone, the dry milk doesn't dissolve in hot water and leaves disgusting lumps.  Used alone, the ghee melts in hot water and rises to the top as an oil slick.

In a dry cup I put some dry milk and the ghee, then used the back of a spoon to blend them together.  It took a while but they did blend- I added enough dry milk to get the consistency like a very dry peanut butter.

Then poured hot water in and stirred, dissolved fine with no lumps.  Still has a cooked taste to the powdered milk, but the consistency is creamy.

Best with fresh espresso, but okay with Via.

Component Nutrition info:
    1 TB (14 grams) Ghee= 120 calories, all butterfat
    4 TB (35 grams) Dry Milk = 120 calories, including 17 g sugars and 12 g protein.

Combined Nutrition Info:
    1.7 ounces (49 grams)
    240 calories = 140 calories/ounce
    Including:
     120 calories (50%) from butterfat
     70 calories (29%) from milk sugars
     50 calories (21%) from milk proteins

We plan to carry both ghee and powdered milk on our upcoming 4 week hike of a popular trail which shall not be named.  This coffee process would be a bit of a bother to mix each morning- especially as the morning temps will make the Ghee hard as a rock.  I don't think it would be good to pre-mix before mailing our resupply packages, but do plan to pre-mix a few days' worth at a time.  Without moisture I think the only risk is oxidization of the ghee, which shouldn't be a problem in the short term.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

This is GREAT. I like the same sort of coffee, and have had all the same problems, but without a solution. Thanks!!

(Where do I find ghee?)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ghee?

Take ordinary butter and heat it to boiling. After a while, it will separate somewhat. Discard the heavier part and save the thinner part. You can transport it without spoiling, but you probably need to keep it in an airtight container for transport.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Local Safeway has it now.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"Isn't the solution just to add your milk powder to lukewarm water "that works for me with our full cream milk powder.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

That's NIDO. It doesn't always work with other kinds of dry powder.

The best way to get powders to "catch" a liquid (hot or cold, though hot usually works better) is to first put the measured amount of powder into the container. Then take about a teaspoon of the liquid (water or milk) and drop it onto the powder (even less liquid if there is only a teaspoon of the powder). No more. Take the spoon and start to stir the liquid into the dry powder. Keep at it until the powder starts to catch and "wet out". The powder should start to turn into a syrup, with a slick, shiny surface. If it is still dry, add a tiny amount more of liquid, but not so much that the powder floats on the liquid. Keep stirring and slowly adding tiny amounts of liquid until the powder is completely turned into syrup. When you are sure the powder is a syrup slowly add the rest of the liquid, while stirring.

Voilá, your drink is ready.

Also, if you want to add sugar to cold drinks. do the same thing with the sugar, turning it into a syrup. It will mix better in the cold liquid. Sugar grains will just settle on the bottom.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

1 via is an abomination, not coffee
    2 Adding dairy or other fat products to good coffee is a crime which some would reckon to be capital.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.minimus.biz/Instant-Nonfat-Dry-Milk-F20-0602701-7100.aspx

I have found that this dry milk works well in "trail lattes". I think it has a lot to do with being in mylar bags. It stays fresh and doesn't clump – a very fine powder. One bag makes one drink. Not cheap though. I use it with a sweetened Via packet (the ones where it is ready to mix with a cup of milk and is sweetened). Is it a latte? No, but it tastes great and wakes you up – and that is all that matters ;-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools