Topic

Double wide sleeping pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double wide sleeping pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

My wife and I are spending more time this summer camping ( yay!) , but we are struggling to find a solution to our sleeping pad dilemma. We've been using a zpacks double wide bag, which we both love, but our TAR pro light pads tend to slip apart in the night. We used to use big Agnes full length pads with pad straps but there was too much fiddle factor for us.

What are some light weight option for double wide sleeping pads? We would rather avoid CCF too.
    Thanks,
    James

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I've got some heavy, self-inflating pads (for camping and boating) with Velcro on the edges. About three strips 4 inches long each. It works well. Maybe you could add that to your pads with fabric cement.

I used the straps for a pair of thermarests 25 years ago and the Velcro works better.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Z Packs recommends these:

http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml#velcro

I would love to hear more about your quilt? What temp rating and have you pushed it near its limit?

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for the insight, I'll give those Velcro strips a try I think.

As for the zpacks double quilt: my wife and I haven't pushed it to its lower limits yet. It's a 20 degree 6' model. My wife is 5'6" and I'm 6'1" and it works well for us. We have had it down to near freezing and we were comfortable then. I tend to sleep warm and the misses likes that when its cold ;)
    Thanks,
    James

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

Lots of UK family camping brands have brought out some double wide SI pads in the last few years. They're often on the heavy side but if you're looking at "car camping" with it then that's not a problem.
    Examples come from
    Vango: https://www.vango.co.uk/sleep-mats/adventure-double-/-3cm.html
    and Gelert: http://www.gelert.com/products/xpedition_double_mattress

I was looking for an alternative to attaching mats and I struggled to find anything light without going for CCF. I believe multimat do some sort of CCF designed to be a sort of footprint of a 2 man tent as overall insulation which could work but as you said, CCF isn't preferable to most.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

At least 4 manufacturers offer double wide inflatable pads:

KELTY double wide Basecamp pad

ALPS MOUNTAINEERING lightweight series Double

OUTBOUND EQUIPMENT doublewide Rest

BIG AGNES Hinman double Wide

50 x 78 x 2.5 inches

R = 7.2

weight 9 lbs 1 oz.

$200 USD

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Exped has a "strap" solution but with a way to keep the mats closer together :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqisAhf4rP8
    (easy to replicate)

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“What are some light weight option for double wide sleeping pads? “

I used the Thermarest Universal Couple Kit. However, I see today it has buckles. Mine does not. Mine is like a ribbon sewn in the center to form a figure 8. I have two of these. Then the each pad would go in its corresponding figure-8 loop; one at the foot end; the other at the head end. And it works great.

But anyway, lately I’ve gotten lazy. I use a 1oz 14”x14” cupboard lining material. It is very grabby. We center our mats on that square and it holds pretty good on level ground.

-Barry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools