Topic

Starter Boxer Brief For Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Starter Boxer Brief For Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Just wanted to give a shout out for "Starter 9" Boxer Brief Performance" as under garments for backpacking, especially the medium size, which is what I wear. I tried the large size, and they fit my 34" waist, but they extended too far down my legs. I prefer the medium size, which is listed as fitting a size 32-34 waist, although I think they would fit a larger waist due to the stretchy spandex waistband. They are 86% polyester and 14% spandex. I would not recommend the large as there is just too much material there. The medium size is perfect for me and I have been using them for the last two years with excellent results. In my opinion they are much better than any performance underwear that REI has to offer and they are much cheaper too. They run about $8.00 American at Walmart. Here is a link for them on Amazon. I think they are showing the large size which extends too far down the legs, the mediums are much shorter. For some reason they are priced higher than Walmart , and they don't have medium, so I buy mine at Walmart. http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Active-Pro-Performance-Boxer-X-Large/dp/B00B5CO8M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1372433112&sr=1-1&keywords=starter+performance+boxer+briefs

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I have several pairs of these and take a pair on every overnight hike that I do, although I usually hike "commando style". They are hard to beat for the price.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Guys discussing their underwear with other guys. Is this site great, or what?

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've compared the performance of the Starter underware, both tops and bottoms, to (the much higher priced) ex-officio and REI brands. I was very impressed with the design, long-term durability and quality of construction of the Starter pieces. A single Starter undershirt served me well for months on the AT. This underware is very easy to wash on the trail, dries quickly, and feels comfortable. For me one of the differentiating features of the briefs is that they do not roll up while being worn. It also helps that they take a long time to get very smelly even with hot days. I find this underware at Walmart or Target. Be careful; there is other Starter underware that has lots of cotton, and is not anywhere near as comfortable, durable or easy to care for. I see this as a great case where the low-priced item is also one of the better ones to use.
    Jim

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I used them for a season, and found them a little tight and clammy. Switched to ex officios or whatever they're called this year and am much happier. Kind of a cross between boxers and boxer briefs. I would have liked the Starters if they were slightly roomier, and had more stretch.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I prefer Russell Boxer Briefs from Variety Wholsalers for $3.33/pr. Best value/performance that I've found. May not be available in your area though. Much more expensive on-line.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

To maintain my girlish figure I prefer SPANX.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Thank you all for NOT posting photos.

Dan
    BPL Member

@supro

Locale: Adirondacks

I originally thought that the OP was looking for suggestions on a pair of boxers for someone just starting out as a backpacker that would get them out on the trail without spending a lot of money on the high performance stuff.

But, yeah, Starter brand boxer briefs…love them. I've been using them for all of my hiking and running for the last year or so.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Merino. Ba-a-a-ah.

Anonymous

I came across a pretty large assortment of boxers & shirts there where the starter "Active-Pro Performance" product line at my local Walmart. The boxers & shirts where like 8$ each . So far I'm very impressed with the overall design & performance of the boxers and the shirts. Wore both on a 11 day trek and didn't smell any worse than I would of in merino & was very comfortable in them. Great base layer IMO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools