Topic

Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight, Windproof, Waterproof Shell Mitten under $50?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Does this exist?

I'm looking for a raincoat for my hands. A waterproof/breathable rain mitten that has a Windstopper layer, or is reasonably windproof. I will pay more if I have to, but I would love something like the old Marmot Precip mitts (Which I can no longer find.)

Any tips?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Zpacks WPB cuben mitts

Edited to add that, unlike the MLD mitts, the Zpacks ones are waterproof right out of the box. That was what made the decision for me as to which ones to purchase

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Max,

I would look at Mld events offering.

Dharma Dog
    BPL Member

@dharmadog

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Extrimities Tuff Bags

Halofs Gram Shell

Lukes Ultralight has some too

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

For $19 these are a real bargain:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5020-728/mec-cloudraker-mitts-unisex/

Dan Durston lent me these when my thin fingerless paddling gloves weren't proving to be adequate during our Pukaskwa packrafting adventure last month. The gloves seemed great, I just picked up a pair myself.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

CAMP Windmit'n – 15 grams for the pair, windproof but not necessarily waterproof, but only $30. Those are the cheapest ones I've seen.

I actually keep a couple of dog-poo bags in my hipbelts to use as impromptu windshells or shoe liners. They last long enough for one trip and are free to replace when they wear out (just swing by your local dog-park or Petsmart parking lot). Admittedly they leave something to be desired in the fit and breathability departments. But a rubber band works well to keep them in place and are similarly free if you work in an office. They pair well with my Driducks rain jacket for just-in-case rain protection. If I knew I was going to be spending prolonged time in the rain I'd take a real rainjacket and pony up for a decent pair of shells from MLD or Zpacks.

Adam

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah the MEC Cloudraker mitts are great if you're looking for an affordable shell. All the weight is in the shell materials, so it's as durable as it can be for weight. Tough to argue with $19 – just go a size down because they're sized for winter layering. I'm normally a medium and a small is plenty big on me.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I like those MLD E-Vent mitts! Those look perfect! Thanks, everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools