Topic

Kristin Gates is hiking across a lot of Alaska.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Kristin Gates is hiking across a lot of Alaska.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

it seems soloist Kristin Gates is hiking (rather well at this point) across a great chunk of Alaska.
    any woman that can post a blog ending with " Time for planning has run out and all that is left is the final surrender to fatalitism. " is certainly showing she's got the Right Stuff.

one can follow here adventure at http://milesforbreakfast.com/ linking to her blog and twitter (spot maps) pages from there.

v.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Thanks for posting this Peter,I recognize her from Jack Haskels CDT hike journal and photos.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

https://twitter.com/miles4breakfast

I really need to get a sat device that can update twitter. the personal location beacons are my next big purchase I think.

Doing solo's on trails is one thing… in the wilderness is completely another issue altogether.

I also need to get a GPS device that I feel comfortable with.. specifically the fact that my life might depend on it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Lemesee,

(All batteries but camera are lithium.)

1. PT Scout headlamp (4 coin batteries)

2. Olympus TG 1 camera (1 propietary battery, Li ion)

3. Garmin Colorado GPS (2 AA and 2 spare AA batteries)

4. Steripen Adventurer (2 CR-123 and 2 spare CR-123 batteries)

Now if I get a SPOT locater its MORE batteries!

Can I get a hat with solar panels? Maybe another panel on my pack lid?
    Or a Llama for spare batteries and booze?

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

"(All batteries but camera are lithium.)

1. PT Scout headlamp (4 coin batteries)

2. Olympus TG 1 camera (1 propietary battery, Li ion)

3. Garmin Colorado GPS (2 AA and 2 spare AA batteries)

4. Steripen Adventurer (2 CR-123 and 2 spare CR-123 batteries)

Now if I get a SPOT locater its MORE batteries!"

well.. ya.
    but here's the deal. if you go North (like Kristin), then HA ! .. you don't need a headlamp.
    and a spot will run the entire trip on it's set of Li's. no problem there.
    and if you get the correct gps, it will take the same batts as the spot, as well as most probably making the entire trek on one set of batts. probably …

it's all good.
    let us all remember that a spot is better borrowed than bought.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Epic.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

it appears she has DONE IT !

(and quickly too)

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Pretty decent writeup in the Fairbanks News Miner about her trip, even including a thumbnail sketch gear list at the end:

http://www.newsminer.com/features/outdoors/brooks-range-ramble-new-hampshire-woman-hikes-and-packrafts-from/article_d5d55504-114b-11e3-8fba-0019bb30f31a.html

PS I tried to make the link live, but the COMPLETELY TERRIBLE software this place runs on thwarted my every html effort…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

text

hmmm – can only get it to work with .com, won't work with the .html extension

oh well…

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I enjoyed everything about this article, especially since I've been fascinated by Brooks Range since I was 16 and first heard about it. Loved her meticulous planning and prep and overall mindset.
    Sounds like she has been using a GoLite Quest for some time. Props to Patagonia and Henry Shires' Tarptent for being sponsors!
    Particularly interesting was the technology aspects.
    "Thanks to modern technology, Gates was able to stay in contact with her parents back in New Hampshire using a SPOT device and a satellite phone. She texted a message to her parents each night to let them know where she was and how she was doing, as well as phoning them once a week. Her father also regularly texted her weather reports so she knew what to expect weather-wise.
    “I felt a little ridiculous tweeting in the middle of the Brooks Range,” Gates confided.
    She also carried an iPod to keep her entertained and memorized Robert Service's poem, “The Cremation of Sam McGee” to pass the time. Gates used a solar charger to recharge both the phone and her iPod, she said.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools