Topic

Help me assemble a UL Tenkara setup for a beginner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Help me assemble a UL Tenkara setup for a beginner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Lately, I've become fascinated with Tenkara. In the past, I've fished high mountain lakes with decent success using a spinning setup. But this weighed around 1 lb when all is said and one. So I'm wondering if I can get a Tenkara set up weighing around 3-4 oz including everything (rod, line, flies, and storage sack). Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tenkara USA's popular kit seems to be the Iwana 12':

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info.php/products_id/121

It isn't terribly cheap, though, at nearly $200. Also, I would need additional items: tippet (which they are out of) and nipper/forceps(?), plus a storage sack of some kind. (Maybe one made out of cuben?).

A final concern would be: Can I use Tenkara for fishing high alpine lakes? One of my favorite backpacking trips involves camping above treeline at high likes.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You have probably seen this already but just in case you haven't,or you might like this blog, Zimmerbuilt makes some nice light weight stuff, Simblissity UnSlack Pack .

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

nm

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Greg, your first link is the same as my first link :)My second link gives all the Tenkara gear sellers including Tenkara Bum.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"… I'm wondering if I can get a Tenkara set up weighing around 3-4 oz including everything (rod, line, flies, and storage sack)."

If using Ryan Jordan's tenkara list as a starting point, the answer is Yes. And if you are into traditional tenkara you can do better. Drop the Flotant, Split Shot, and indicator. Instead of the "braided" line go with a #3 or #4 "level line." Casting is good enough, and it handles snags and "length adjustments" much better, which is critical for small stream fishing.

Then, take a long look the information at TenkaraBum.com . There you will find short light (from 1 ounce and up) rods that are quite capable. Check out the keiryu rods – light, long, and strong.

"A final concern would be: Can I use Tenkara for fishing high alpine lakes? One of my favorite backpacking trips involves camping above treeline at high likes."

Tenkara on Lakes is a good place to start. I've posted other links on lake fishing as well – Search: mihalik tenkara lakes. Tenkara on lakes is a challenge for many reasons, and although someone like Karl can out fish many with traditional fly tackle, nothing beats the efficiency of a spinning rig. You get to decide on priorities.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I posted about this on my blog a while back. Some of the links may not work any more, but I'd still suggest the same kit to a beginning fisherman who isn't sure about tenkara yet.

http://kaiuhl.com/posts/beginner-tenkara-guide

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

If you want to get into it on the cheap and can wait a week and a half, I'll be posting a report on my Chinese "tenkara" rod and how it does in the High Sierra. I leave for 7 days this Friday morning and will have it with me.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Hi Greg,

I will certainly take a look at those links. Regarding line, do tenkara fishermen carry spare line, or do I just cut my level line at home, tie my fly/tippet on while I'm fishing, and call it good? Is a spool of tippet on hand (and spare flies) recommended in case of snags, and if so how much?

I'm taking a hard look at the Iwana rod 12' by Tenkara USA. They have a 60 day unconditional money-back guarantee that looks attractive. They do have an Iwana 12' package that comes with traditional tapered 10.5' line, but I'm not sure this would serve my needs.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info.php/products_id/121

Wouldn't I want a longer line for lake fishing?

Finally, do you have any suggestions on what flies to get and how many for, say, an overnight backpacking trip?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

David,

"Regarding line, do tenkara fishermen carry spare line, or do I just cut my level line at home, tie my fly/tippet on while I'm fishing, and call it good? Is a spool of tippet on hand (and spare flies) recommended in case of snags, and if so how much?"

Getting started near home –
    Level Line typically comes 25 yards +/- to a spool. Generally speaking – cut a piece equal to your rod length, and then add about 3 of tippet, and you are good to go. Anything longer than that becomes a challenge when landing fish. Later on you can go longer as you learn to "hand-line" the fish to a landing. I carry lines of different lengths that I hand-wind and them place in 2×3 ziplocks. Less bulk. No need for on-the-stream "cut to fit".

You can always add (tie on) more line or use a longer tippet if needed. Take the spool of line the first couple of times out for security. Definitely take the spool of tippet. You'll lose tippet to snags, the line is Much stronger.

Cruise the Tenkara USA site for opinions on level line versus traditional. I prefer level line.

"I'm taking a hard look at the Iwana rod 12' by Tenkara USA. They have a 60 day unconditional money-back guarantee that looks attractive"

The Iwana 12' is a great all around rod. TUSA has tremendous customer service and a web site full of critical and useful information. It is an excellent place to start.

"Wouldn't I want a longer line for lake fishing?"

Not necessarily. Depends on the lake, the wind, the brush, the bed profile, the fish, etc. I'm not a lake guy. But, Search: mihalik tenkara lakes. I've posted a couple of links here.

"Finally, do you have any suggestions on what flies to get and how many for, say, an overnight backpacking trip?"

Flys depend on many things. And in the Tenkara World (capital letters) there is an ongoing debate between the "traditionalists" and the "do what works" folks. For now go with traditional kebari and see what happens. They are amazingly effective. Try some simple #14 beadheads – like a Hare's Ear. Between the two, if there are fish, you will catch them. Most flies are intended to catch the fisherman. It's the simple well presented flys that catch the fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools