Topic

Light/UL/SUL & Warm synthetic vest recommendations for summer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light/UL/SUL & Warm synthetic vest recommendations for summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I'm considering a vest to replace my jacket in my pack this summer. I've read plenty of old threads saying that a vest is likely the way to go in the temps I'm going to encounter. I also have done some reading on down, and I'm not sure that the extra weight savings is worth the risk of the down getting damp & not keeping me warm.

So, I'm thinking a synthetic vest might be the way to go. If you think down warrents a look, feel free to convince me, I'm easy that way!

I just don't know to much about vests, synthetic vests, so I'm figuring you all do. UL or even SUL might be nice, if that exists…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I often use a Rab Generator vest, its weighs 250g.

Montbell does offer a lighter one.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've got an Arcteryx Atom LT vest. It weighs 238 grams in size Medium. The Patagonia Nano Puff vest is another one I looked at but I found the Atom used on Gear Swap for a great price. They're pretty light but warm enough for the moderate temperatures I hike in.

Adam

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

A few have already been mentioned.
    Montbell Thermawrap vest 6.5oz
    BPL Cocoon UL 60 vest 5.3oz (Discontinued but you might find one on gearswap)
    MYOG Thru-Hiker Mimima Vest Kit (Website says as light as 4.5oz)
    Rab Generator Vest 9oz
    Patagonia Nano Puff Vest 8.6oz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools