Topic

headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Curious what sul headlamps are out there..if any. Any website recomandations I can check out. I don't need all the bells n whistles..just a nice little lite I can strap to my head. I have a bd spot, but I think there are lighter better options out there…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You have to decide what your priorities are.

1. Some people select a headlamp based on the lightest weight, but it may not be very bright, or it may not last very long on a battery.
    2. Some people select one based on a given intensity of light (lumens).
    3. Some people select one based on maximum life on a battery.
    4. Some people want one that is centered in the middle of their forehead. Others are willing to use one that sits on the side, between the ear and the eye.
    5. Some people prefer a spot of light. Some prefer a flood pattern.
    6. Some people want one that uses the same common battery type as everything else they carry so that they don't have to carry more and more different spares.
    7. Some people want one that uses a primary battery. Others want something with a rechargeable battery.

I wanted one with different light intensity levels. That way, I can use it most of the time at very low levels to conserve battery power, but I can quickly kick it up to a bright flood when something important happens. I wanted something with a total weight under 2 ounces, including single AA battery. Zebralight has 'em. I took off the stock head strap and used my own lightweight strap.

–B.G.–

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

If you wear a brimmed hat or cap then check out the Fenix LD01. It weighs half an ounce, plus an additional quarter ounce for each AAA battery you take. Just ration as many batteries as you need for longer trips. The medium setting puts out enough light for night hiking and you'll get at least 3 hours out of a single AAA on medium.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

At the last time that I checked, the Fenix LD01 was not a headlamp. It's a flashlight with no head strap.

–B.G.–

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Petzyl zipka, this one is compact and uses a retractable wire, it is lighter than the normal ones. It uses 3 aaa's and its very bright, the batteries last a super long time for me.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"4. Some people want one that is centered in the middle of their forehead."

True, that. And a helpful list from Bob.

"Others are willing to use one that sits on the side, between the ear and the eye."

The Borg on Star Trek come to mind.

But I prefer a headlight at waist level. That could be a handheld in my hand or a belt-clip style on my shorts' waistband. A headlight illuminates all of what you can see and washes out contours on the ground. A lower-height light shows shadows where there are bumps and dips in the trail.

And to add to his list:

8. Some people (me) find flashing and S-O-S modes goofy and annoying. I'd much rather have a light that only cycled through useful modes (high – medium – low – off) and not various let's-do-it-only-because-there's-a-computer-chip-involved options.

There are enough tedious options to wade through while working with Microsoft Windows. I want more simplicity and ease-of-use when I'm out recreating.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

"At the last time that I checked, the Fenix LD01 was not a headlamp. It's a flashlight with no head strap."

Thus the question about his headwear. Clipped to a hat brim the LD01 makes a very effective headlamp, which is why it is so popular around here.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Thus the question about his headwear."

There was no question about his headwear.

Besides, a flashlight is still a flashlight, and a headlamp is still a headlamp. The original poster asked about a headlamp.

–B.G.–

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My recommendation for a truly SUL headlamp would be the eQ. Personally, I would rather carry a headlamp which is a few ounces provided it had good regulation, produces a LOT more light on high for way finding, and has an ultra-low mode for very long battery life. I love my ZebraLight H51. Additional thoughts on my recommended flashlights page.

–Mark

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"But I prefer a headlight at waist level."

That makes it a waistlight. I've seen lots of long-distance endurance runners using a waist-level light for night runs, and I often hold my headlamp low that way when trail hiking. For chores around camp, I find that the head position is more natural.

–B.G.–

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

There was a question about his headwear – I asked it. And I don't think pedantism should stand in the way of good gear choices, but perhaps we should leave that up to Joe.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"There was a question about his headwear – I asked it."

Drew, there is no question that appears in your posting. Where did you ask a question?

–B.G.–

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

You caught me with my pants down Bob, the question was implied rather than asked. I suppose next you will be asking if my pants were literally down.

Dave T

@davet

Bob was gone for a while, but he seems to be back, and in full Gross effect.

(Don't really want to go down the sentence parsing route, but I do think that when one says "If you wear a brimmed hat or cap then check out the Fenix LD01," it's pretty much the same as "Do you wear a brimmed hat or cap? If so, check out the Fenix LD01." Seems like Drew was just (helpfully) suggesting a different, fully legitimate, and very lightweight way to think about a "head-mounted light", one perhaps the OP hadn't considered.)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Petzl e+ lite comes to mind, but it has some bells and whistles. The Atom Cyclops headlamp is about as small and Spartan as I have seen.

And I think both are weak. They are okay for camp and tent lights, but that's it. I consider lighting a very critical part of my kit and while I don't see the need to haul a landing light off a 747, I do want something that will help me navigate a trail at night— if needed. If I was deliberately hiking at night, I would go for heavier hardware yet. IMHO, going with a weak and non-waterproof lamp is stepping over to the "stupid light" side.

I use a Fenix HL21 which is 1.44oz without the single AA battery. I also carry an Olight is EOS flashlight that takes an AA battery as well, simplifying battery management, so I can take one spare and have good coverage. I can also change the battery in either by touch in total darkness. There are brighter lights than these, but I think the output/battery life curve starts to fall off. Both have multiple lighting levels and they aren't expensive as lights go.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

anyone use or try Ruta Locura headlamp?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would bet that it's a eQ in a custom color. I would rather it in a bright color to find it. The eQ is decent for a coin battery flashlight. The reflector / lens gives it a longer throw than most coin lights. It's reasonably waterproof, and doesn't turn on accidentally. Like all coin lights there is no power regulation and small batteries so the brightness falls off fairly quickly.

–mark

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have a couple of these and have been happy with them. This light has similar features to your BD Spot but is 26 grams lighter, 50 lumens (vs Spot's 90), and only uses two AAA batteries. I found the high setting to be overkill and medium is more than enough for hiking.

http://www.princetontec.com/byte

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I found the battery life of the Byte to be low – that is, less than 2/3 of 3 AAA battery LED lights.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've never found the need to get new light for anything "SUL"…I've always used a Tikka or Zipka +2.

The 1-2 ounces you save isn't worth it in my opinion. I hike and run at night a lot, especially on SUL type trips. Petzl e-lights are awful for anything but a camp light in my opinion. And some of the single AAA lights mentioned here that wouldn't even last half a night hiking…no thanks.

The BD Spot (I hike/run with a few people that have them) has always seemed like a solid light to me. I say stick with it.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I found the battery life of the Byte to be low – that is, less than 2/3 of 3 AAA battery LED lights."

That's interesting. As previously mentioned, I don't use the high setting as it is overkill for hiking and only has a 2hr battery life. On low (more than bright enough to hike with imo) is advertised to have a 96hour battery life but are you getting less than that? Red is advertised at 146 hours which I use in my shelter.

I really can't say for sure as I don't track their claims but it seems accurate. A single set of batteries and only operating on low or red get me through the three seasons ok.

I've never gone running with it so I can't say whether or not the low setting would be ok for this if this is important to the OP or anyone else reading this thread.

I know Skurka, David, and others advocate wearing a light on their belt. The Byte has a clip which should work for something like that though I never tried. I have clipped it onto my molle system ok though.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've used a number of 3 AAA LED headlamps. They all have the same problem, the "low" setting is way more bright than necesary. And "medium" isn't enough different than "low" or "high" to be useful.

"medium" should have the brightness of what "low" is.

"low" should be 1/4 as bright with corresponding longer battery life.

But, regardless, I use lithium batteries which are good for 1 year or 50 nights, but I don't use it very much, little night hiking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't.

If you leave it on for say a half hour you won't be able to shut if off unless you pull the batteries Then there is the weird strobe effect when the batteries are getting low. Better choices out there, Ian must have the only two good ones or does not use them for more than a minute or two at a time. Battery life on the box is a downright lie. I really wanted to like it but alas, it was not to be.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ken and Jerry,

I really appreciate your comments on the Byte headlamp. I've yet to run into a problem with them but your reports are concerning. The longest I've used it non stop was ~ 1.5 hours in the Ape Caves.

I've been eyeing the Zebra H31 Headlamp CR123 and now I have an excuse to pull the trigger.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

Olight i3s EOS. I got one on ebay pretty cheap…light AND I zip tied it to a headband to make my "headlamp"…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools