Topic

Backpacking with heavyweighters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking with heavyweighters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Been there, done that with the heavyweighters.

Some wont listen at all.

Some will listen, agree, get excited, but still revert to old ways because they are scared. They always get blisters with their boots and heavy socks/liner combos but they are still too brainwashed to try something different.

I also do remember though when I was in awe that anyone could go out and hike 100+ mile trip. That seemed so outrageously long. LOL.

The wilderness really does gets small when you can lay down 20-25 miles per day.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Wait until you're into a nice long uphill slog , stroll up next to the heavyweighter, complement his/her pack in someway (plush hip belt cushion, construction, etc.)and ask to try it out for a bit. Swap packs. After two to three minutes (or so), repeat the complement of the heavyweight pack (plush hip belt cushion, construction, etc.), but make a quick non-judgmental passing comment – saying you personally prefer the comfort of being lightweight and signal it is time to swap packs back"

Are you kidding? I don't want to carry someone's heavy pack, even for a few minutes :)

If you are hiking with friends, they will probably ask questions.

If there is NO discussion about gear consider it an extremely successful trip. The focus will have been on much more important matters than gear.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"If there is NO discussion about gear consider it an extremely successful trip. The focus will have been on much more important matters than gear."

Like how much your friends feet are hurting them?

But in all seriousness, I agree.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools