Topic

alternative to smartwool liner socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) alternative to smartwool liner socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jun Bum Kim

@snvplayer

I bought some REI light weight wool socks for my annapurna circuit trekking. Then, I realized these socks won't dry overnight, which won't cut it if I wash them every night since I only have 3 pairs.

I figured I could use liner socks, but smartwool socks are hard to find where I am. (I had to order REI socks internaionally).

What are some alternatives smart wool liner socks?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Then, I realized these socks won't dry overnight, which won't cut it if I wash them every night since I only have 3 pairs."

hummm….

A pair would dry in two nights. Washing them one pair at a time would give you two nights to dry. And if you can get by with one pair for two days it would be a slam dunk.

What am I missing?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Damp, but clean socks in the morning. What's the problem there? Are your shoes dry too? If shoes are dry your sock will be dry shortly after heading off. One clean pair just for sleeping and the two pair for wash and wear.

What am I missing?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you're looking for thin wool socks, check the cycling section at REI or a regular bike store. DeFeet Wooleators are great socks; other brands to consider are Pearl Izumi, Swiftwick, and too many others to list. Most will only have very light cushioning.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Kinda late to be asking since the trip is mid June thru mid July. Take what you can get there is the choice now.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

If you want quicker drying get synth, not wool

Also the thinner the faster drying

;)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

your trek will be at high'ish altitude, which that means things will dry out faster (much).
    problem solved.
    now go have a great trip. (and take pictures, so we can see them too ! )

v.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For the last time that I trekked in Nepal, I took several pairs of thick synthetic or wool/synthetic socks, and I rinsed them out occasionally. Once rinsed, I hung them up to drip dry on the rods between the inner tent and outer tent wall. Unfortunately, they froze overnight.

So, in the morning I placed the frozen socks into a plastic bag and put that in the top of my backpack. The plan was to pull them out during a nice sunny lunch stop so that the drying process could continue. No sun. They stayed frozen or wet for weeks at a time.

I now have some Smart Wool socks, and they are comfortable, but thick synthetic socks might be more practical for those kinds of conditions.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Don't wear liner socks much except in winter. I prefer silk.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Stuff them in your jacket or pants pockets and let your body heat help out. Or dry them in your sleeping bag if you have warmth to spare and a chance to dry out your bag in the sun.

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

I have a couple different styles/weights of Drymax socks and they seems to work well. I still prefer my Smartwool PHD hikers in general, but if it's going to be WET, I use these http://www.drymaxsocks.com/lite_trail_running.php

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools