Topic

Any UVM Wilderness Trek Alumni Out There?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Any UVM Wilderness Trek Alumni Out There?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

My daughter is starting at UVM in Burlington in the fall and is very excited to go on the Wilderness Trek trip before orientation starts. I'd love to find someone who has been on one of these trips to ask a few questions about their gear choices and how they run the trips.

We just got her "Required Gear List" yesterday and it's pretty old-school. On the FAQ page for the trip they say students may be required to carry up to 50 pounds. We've backpacked together but always in the lightweight style.

Please respond here if you've done a Trek trip with UVM or PM me and I'll shoot you my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I did my post above about two weeks ago and my fears have been confirmed…Carrying 50+ pounds on the Long Trail convinced everyone who's ever gone on a Wilderness Trek program that backpacking isn't for them.

Bummer. I know I'm going to have some "discussions" with the Trek leaders as they go through Katie's gear and I explain the differences between what she's carrying and what was on the list of required gear.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Good luck with those discussions! I'm a UVM alumni, but didn't go on the Wilderness Trek program, so I can't help you there. That is where I got into backpacking though and had a similar experience on my first trip during my sophomore year. I didn't end up trying again until 2 years later ;) Fortunately, it sounds like your daughter already enjoys backpacking and I think she'll have a great time in Burlington….as long has she doesn't mind the long winters. It's a fun town for sure. Now that you've got me thinking about it, I need to go back for a visit sometime soon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools