Topic

safety of margarine bowl with boiling water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition safety of margarine bowl with boiling water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Is it safe to put boiling water in a margarine container? One concern is whether the plastic could soften, and another is whether the plastic coloring could leach into the water. (I presently use a ziploc bowl, but margarine bowls are lighter.)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Chris, I'd look on the bottom to see what number plastic it is, then go look it up online. You can see what the plastic made of, etc :-)

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

I'm not sure whether the number on the bottom tells the whole story. Both the ziploc container and a small yogurt container are number 5, but the ziploc is clear whereas the yogurt container is white. So is the white stuff an additive?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Maybe more to be concerned with is that the Ziploc container is rated for microwaves (so hence can take hot water) but the margarine container isn't rated for microwave use.
    Somewhere I remember reading an article on what can be used…let me go find it!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ok, here is one:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
    That should help some. I wouldn't worry about chemicals, but more that since it isn't rated for microwaving, your butter tub is more likely to get "soft" when heated with water. This in turn could cause it to dump food on you.
    The Ziploc ones don't get soft though, so very well may be worth the tiny extra weight.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Sarah, thanks for the link! Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools